Logo

Hello, Merc 50HP 3cyl 2-Stroke on a 1981 Yar Craft Patriot

Twitchingboater

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum and new to boating. My coworker lost his dad recently and made me a heck of a deal on his old runabout. Looking to pick up a new hobby I decided to dive in. I have had the boat out a few time successfully and now have a few questions.

Last time out I flooded the motor. I think this was operator error as I held the key (choke) in while starting the already warm motor. I pulled the fuel line and cranked it over for a bit and after a while it started up and I reconnected the fuel line and all was well. I am assuming this was my mistake and not the motor.

However, this got me to thinking I should probable change the spark plugs and wires, fuel filter etc. I was looking at the plug wires last night and they seem to be different than automotive ones. At least on the terminal end. Do I just yank te terminal end off like the plug end or do they unscrew in some manner?

Also, measured by GPS the boat is doing 25mph at full throttle. Is this about right considering the heavy 17th fiberglass yar craft?

What else should I be looking out for?

I am unsure of the year of the motor so a photo is attached.

Merc.jpg

Thanks

Yup your mistake,no need to choke/enrich a warm engine.Hey we all have to learn:D
I would suggest the basics at least,plugs,filter and water separator,if fitted,impeller and lube all grease points.
Plug wires are twist and pull,they aren't screwed in but rather than just yanking them off.But unless they are in bad shape,no need to change the wires
25mph sounds about right,what were the RPMs?
Engine number is located on a plate on the mounting bracket,might even have the year on it,post it and someone will be able to tell you.
Maybe pump a can of powertune through the carbs

Thanks,

The RPMS were 5,000 - 5,500 although who knows how accurate that old gauge is. I will pay more attention to that next time out.
I went out and pulled a plug wire as they are a bit weak looking twisted and pulled.
It seems as though something is missing from the wire. It looks similar to below, however it does not have the copper piece on bottom. It just looks like snipped wire.
Wire.jpg

thats normal,there's a lot of vibration in outboards,standard car wires would vibrate out of the coil,on some applications coil wires are screwed into distributor caps and or coils

Thanks all,

Took the boat out yesterday and happy to report no issues with the correct use of the choke. Seems like the motor is happy for the moment. My other question is about the steering. Boat turns free and easy to the right. When turning the wheel to the left it is very stiff. Is this normal?

Trim tab might need adjusting, What happens if you let go of steering wheel, does she pull to one side? To adjust trim tab turn tab into the direction she's pulling,

Got a new trim tab a few weeks ago as it came without one. I believe I have it adjusted correctly as the boat tracks straight when hand off the wheel. The stiff steering to the left happens both on the trailer and while underway at all speeds on the water.

Disconnect tiller arm of steering unit from engine,one nut to see if it's engine binding or steering cable and or helm binding

Back