Logo

Cape Horn 19 engine braket ??????

Anj1204

I have a Cape Horn 19 and I am wanting to re-power with a 4 stroke Yamaha which is about 100 pounds heavier. Here are my thoughts, please let me know if any issues that could come from this.
With the Cape horn already a heavy boat, my thoughts were to take the 200 mercury off, finish the transom to the top and add an engine bracket to help with weight of the Yamaha. I would then move the live well back and incorporate it in to the transom opening up a lot of the cockpit area. Any and all constructive opinions are appreciated.
Thanks so much in advance.
Alan

Mounting height of engine comes to mind,keeping cavitation plate about level with keel of hull for proper performance and keeping WOT within specs

Mounting height of engine comes to mind,keeping cavitation plate about level with keel of hull for proper performance and keeping WOT within specs

Yeah absolutely I would be keeping everything at same angles and levels in regards to the keel. Just making an engine bracket for extra flotation and moving engine back about 20" or so.

Take a look at Armstrong brackets. http://www.armstrongnautical.com/brackets.htm

They a very well made, cast aluminum, hold a lot of air, and will normally offset any additional weight from a four-stroke.

I have one on my C-Hawk 25 DLX and there was no problem whatsoever with replacing the original Johnson 200 Sea Pro with the much heavier Honda 225.

BTW - the engine's anti-cavitation plate should be even with the lowest part of the transom IF THE ENGINE IS MOUNTED DIRECTLY TO THE TRANSOM. However, you should raise the anti-cavitation plate one inch for ever 12 inches of offset from the transom.

chawk_man,you mentioned offset from transom,is that the distance from original transom mounting area to new mounting area of bracket,thanks. Have a friend with 20 foot cuddy with bracket and alot of spray shoots back towards transom,something awry. Mounting height?? Right now cavitation is level with bottom of lowest part of hull,the keel

I measure it from the bottom of the transom to the front of the anti-cavitation plate. It doesn't need to be very precise. To test it, when you are near WOT on plane, the anti-cavitation plate should be riding just on the surface of the water coming out from under the hull. If your buddy is getting a lot of spray back on the transom, then I suspect that his motor is mounted too low.

chawk_man ,there's so much splashing going on back there you can't see the cavitation plate,will raise motor 1 inch at a time and see where that goes,thanks

That sounds like a plan. You should be able to see what's causing it. What type of boat? What type of hull - deep V, semi V? What is the beam?

It`s called a jack plate there are alot of good designs or you can design your own and fill it with closed cell foam. There is a formula for engine height the cavitation plate can actually be a couple inches above the keel depending on the distance from the transom.

kimcrwb1,What's On the back of the dixie 21 looks nothing like what's on the hermco or armstrong web sites,according to you tube site it's called a pod,probably home made, I'm presuming it's plywood that's glassed over and bolted to transom

Back