Logo

2005 BF225 4 Stroke Engine review, opinions, experience

frnkbonz

I was wondering if anyone can provide 1st hand experience with these particular motors... I heard a lot of different things. These engines have been maintained and had both manifolds replaced and also a long tube inserted to protect the o2 sensor (from the current owner of the boat). Anyone who had these engines or currently own them, any information would be great. Thank you

It seems to depend on the age of the engines. Generally those manufactured before mid 2007 (SN's under about 1500200) had some significant issues. After that, few problems. There are a few irritating things, such as needing to remove the manifolds to get to the internal anodes, an inadequate flush system, upper cowling not mating correctly. All that can be overcome. As with all four stroke outboards, these engines need to be well-maintained.

I have 1900 hours on my 2007 and have had very few problems. It's a very reliable, efficient, and quiet engine IMO. I do almost all of my own maintenance using the official Helm Shop Manual, which is a bit pricey, but worth every penny and a lot more.

I have accumulated a detailed list of issues based on posts on this forum and my own experience. If you are interested in seeing it, send an e-mail to me at [email protected].

Glad to see you got over here Frkbnz, these guys are top notch and helpful, they have saved me a ton of time and money, with no drama, just solid advice. Definitely search this site and post any questions that may come up

Hello, you asked for first hand experience, so here's mine.
-I have had good experience with the bf225 (these were manufactured 2002). First, on our twin engine work boat, which was neglected by not running her for about a year before I started. once they were serviced, restarted (which required spraying starting fluid into the air intake of one engine), and run a bit, we had reliable operation for years with just standard maintenance. I was impressed by their ability to "bounce back" from the neglect, they were running rough at first but after getting blown out they are very smooth running engines.
-At some point we were told to clear the oxygen sensor each trip by running her above 5000rpm for a couple of minutes near the end of the day. After that she did seem to stay running smoother between services and we never got an O2 fault after that.
-The upper cowling cover not latching at all 4 pins was an ongoing issue that we neglected since the cover latched in the front and stayed on, that was eventually remedied by a new gasket and a little grease. I believe our engines suffered some corrosion due to excess salt getting into the engine compartment because of this. I would recommend anyone having this issue just get a new gasket, they cost about $45 (wish I had known sooner)
-We ended up re-powering our work boat with 225hp Yamaha's, the new engines are heavier and burn more fuel than the BF225's did.
-I have a single BF225 on my 20' fishing boat, and I do the service myself. This allows me to put a little more time into TLC, protecting against corrosion, etc. than the guys at the shop really have time to do. It seems that boats.net offers almost every part for these engines (though I like to support my local shop when I can, and the local guys will work to compete on the price for big items) so I hopefully will be able to keep this engine going for a long time (knock on wood).

Back