Logo

Removing gimbal bearing

burls

Contributing Member
I have an Alpha 1 gen 2 leg and l can't remove the gimbal bearing as it appears seized.

Any suggestion would be appreciated

Ayuh,.... Ditto, what have ya tried,..??

It's driven in, so it takes a puller to remove it,....

Dont realy feel like paying !%) clams for a one off. But thanks for the link

We have a big storm coming through so I will leave it for the arvo I think.

Tried a slide hammer, then since the engine is out I tried with a bar and a BFH

If you can find a larger HAMMER to slide that would help

I took the standard hammer off and made a new one out of a 10+lb piece of steel.

Typically it works in two pulls.

Now if you have the motor out and if you can remove the u joint bellows then maybe use some map gas and heat the outer race up a bit but be careful not to over heat.

Only had one late 80's OMC this past summer that was so frozen it would not come out with several different types of tools.......

Thanks folks

finally got it out with a bigger hammer

was a bit harder than I expected anyway will freeze the new one before l install it any other tricks l should know

You might try heating the housing with a space heater to increase the clearance (assuming it's cold where you're working).

Jeff

Thanks folks

finally got it out with a bigger hammer

was a bit harder than I expected anyway will freeze the new one before l install it any other tricks l should know

There is no need to freeze the new one. Take the old bearing outer race and grind one lip down so it fits back in the housing. Go down to your local plumbing supply and get a pipe flange that is the same diameter(or close) as the outer race. Screw a long enough piece of pipe into the flange and duct tape the flange to the outer race. Put a pipe cap on the end of the pipe for a striking surface and now you have a bearing installer.

I made one of these when I was 16 and used the same one for years until I bought the actual installer.

Smack the bearing in square, when it is seated the tool will bounce off.

Guys
bearings in thanks
l put it in the freezer for half an hour , lubed it up and it went straight in with finger pressure. I did the tap test and it was home good and proper

Back