Logo

Fastrac power trim issue

michael a

Hello,
Power trim is removed from outboard, has new electric motor. Has plenty of fluid.
With manual release open, I can push rams down. Connect blue and green wires direct to battery and rams will go up, does not matter if the green or blue is on the positive. Once fully extended, it will not go down with either wire on the positive. Only way to get it down si the release the manual screw. Have replaced the manual release screw, and have checked the key between the electric motor an the pump, seems fine. No relays being used so they are not the problem. Any idea what is wrong?

Thanks

With all two wire trim motors when you reverse polarity it changes motor direction. So are you saying when you reverse polarity to the two wires it only goes up?

Has to have the weight of the engine on it to go down. Study the hydraulic circuits, and you will see there is no pressurized oil path to move the rams down. Only up.

Dasel. In the service manual it shows pressure in the down side on the tilt cylinder but not the trim cylinders. ???

Last edited:
Hi Boobster....

Yes, you are exactly right. The tilt cylinder gets pressure to move it in both directions.
The trim cylinders only get pressure to go UP.

Thanks for the correction....I always learn something here.

Nothing. Removed electric motor and checked to see it ran in both directions when leads swapped on battery - it did run in both directions. So am stumped at the moment. Must be a valve that is malfunctioning, but to remove/test /check them is beyond my tool set and capabilities

You could have a bad valve body on it but there's no parts for it and it sells for $470.00. Maybe look around for a shop that has one for testing.

Have you reinstalled it and tested with weight on it????? If all you did was replace motor I wouldn't worry about it till tested...

No I have not installed and tested with weight on, will do when I get a chance. Have other fastrac trim units that are not installed on a motor and they run in both directions when leads reversed with no weight on the rams, So not convinced that installing it will make it work correctly. But will do to rule that possibility out.

Back