Logo

1982 Chrysler Sea King 15hp WOT issue

LoganB

I have a 1982 Chrysler Sea King 15hp. Just replaced head gasket and rebuilt the carb. When I'm running WOT, it surges down. Found out today that if I pump the fuel line bulb while running wot it runs just fine, stays and doesn't surge. Is this the fuel pump? Also have noticed air bubbles in my internal fuel lines but no fuel leakage so assuming it's not an internal fuel line issue. Any help, ideas or questions would be appreciated! Thanks!!

It could be the fuel pump. If it is the same fuel pump I have on my 9.9 the rebuild is a breeze and the kit is not expensive at all.

First check all connections from tank to fuel pump, sounds like an air leak possibility, troubleshoot first then spend $$$$ Keep us posted with results. If everything checks out,test fuel pump with gauge, Can be borrowed from auto parts store with a deposit

Last edited:
I r/r the fuel pump. In doing so, I removed the fuel filter screen as it was hardened and mostly clogged. There was a stick inside the filter. I added an inline filter to the fuel hose.
The engine started and ran great but is now causing new problems...
As the engine warms it now blows gas out of (what I'm assuming is) a vent on the top of the carb (a little back and to the right of the idle set screw when sitting in boat and looking at engine). Is it possible that my carb settings are bad since the carb was rebuilt and tweaked with a non functioning fuel pump? What advice can you give me for this issue?
I'll try to post some pics of where the problem is occurring when I have time but will hopefully post a running video now.

Sounds like the float may be sticking.

If I hadn't recently done a carb rebuild, I'd be more open to thinking that's right. I don't understand how the fuel pump rebuild could do drastically affect the float or carb other than to allow more fuel to enter

I honestly don't know enough to be offering advice but I have had several of those. And, every time I have had a carb leaking from the overflow it has been because I did something wrong with the float/valve. I would guess that the increased flow from the properly functioning fuel pump would make issues with the carb settings stand out more. I am sure someone with a ton more experience than I have will come along with an answer that makes much more sense.

I honestly don't know enough to be offering advice but I have had several of those. And, every time I have had a carb leaking from the overflow it has been because I did something wrong with the float/valve. I would guess that the increased flow from the properly functioning fuel pump would make issues with the carb settings stand out more. I am sure someone with a ton more experience than I have will come along with an answer that makes much more sense.

I appreciate your honesty. When I have time, I'm thinking I might tear apart the carb again and give her another go. We'll see... It does make sense, what you're saying

Does it have a cork float? If so dry it out good after sanding it smooth. Then dunk it in a small dish full of fuel proof clear model airplane dope and let it dry good. If you put finger pressure on the float needle you may have damaged it just install a new needle and seat?

It's one of those black composite or plastic floats.. From what I've read in the repair book, it's kinda looking like the float is supposed to be almost level (although below, of course) with the bottom of the carb before the bowl is put back on. If I remember correctly, I believe the float was hanging at more of a downward angle. I may adjust that....

Turn the carb upside down and the float should be level with the body. Like I sai do not put finger pressure on the float just check it with the weight of the float only. If you need to adjust it pull the float and then bend the arm and then check it again using only the weight of the float on the needle valve.

OK, tore the carb apart again. Swapped the float seat fitting (?? The copper thing the float needle inserts into). I put the old one back in, took the new one out because they're engineered differently. Kept the new needle in. Then adjusted the float.
Seems to be running better now. I appreciate everyone's help.
Attached are some videos of it running in a tank, one running, one running and shifting.

Last edited:
Back