Logo

Repower options

You looking to stay with gas? If so, I would rebuild what you have in the boat now. I have done that a few times with my boat. Pull the engines, tear them down, put in new parts and away you go. I liked keeping my blocks and heads since I knew what I had.

You could go brand new. I replaced my twin 454 340 hp with new Crusader 7.2 MPI. Performance is about the same. Fuel consumption is a bit less. Took a lot of weight out of the boat. Everything is new with a warranty.When you factor in the cost of new parts that you hang on those long blocks the high initial cost of all new looks pretty good. I purchased my engines with rebuilt velvet drive trans mounted & plumbed by the dealer. I did the install myself. I had the room & they were truly "drop in". I had to take an inch of pitch out of the props to get the RPMs up. This was in 2007 and very little has been spent on repairs since then. After almost 10 years I am very happy with the new engines.

as noted above, lots of options....I'd say your expectations, preferences, and the thickness of your wallet will be the biggest driving factors....as with most things, there are pros and cons with any options...so you need to figure which option is best for you...the range is laid out in the previous posts...

One more thought. When your done with your repower,contact your insurance carrier. You will have invested considerable $ in your 30 year old boat. You certainly don't want to get "book value"if something bad happens. Try to get an "agreed value" policy. Im glad I did. It worked out very well for me after Sandy.

Back