service repair shops in my area
i live in new orleans 70003
i want to put a duel prop lower on one of my drives
there is only a dealer 30 miles away and they only work on new
volvo equipment.
they do not know of any shops that work on older penta drives

any help would be great
Thank You. japato11

There is really not alot to know you just need to get the shimming correct for the vertical shaft bearing and the proper gear ratio. Why only one drive and what do you have?

You DO NOT need an AQ series mechanic or shop.
You DO need a good mechanic who is able to think outside of the box, and one who can work with precision measurements.

DO NOT remove the entire stern drive!

Do you have all of the parts necessary?
Correct over-all gear reduction?
Do you have the vertical shaft Tapered Roller Bearing "Race" that was originally with the Duo Prop lower unit????
Do you have extra shims that are used above the bearing race????

Show us photos of your existing drive and the proposed Duo Prop lower unit.
Tell us exactly what you wish to accomplish.

Last edited:

i have 3 outdrives
i want to sell 2 of them

i have a 290 sp 10 spline yoke with power trim that is not on a boat
my grandfather gave me he's old boat and i am useing some of the parts for my boat
i have a 1987 25" bayliner cerria with a GM 260b V 8 vp 275 sp 26 spline yoke outdrive and another complete vp 275 outdrive that's
a back up not on a boat
what i am trying to do is make one of the drives a duel prop
the 290 is the one i like to do. but seems to be more work putting the 290 it place ofthe 275 i frist need to sell two of the drives to get a duel prop lower
if i can get the right type lower unit i am not sure i
will be able to put it on right with a service manual

i was was thinking of selling all the drives and buying a complete 280 or 290 duel prop drive
i just do t know which way to go
but my goal is to get a duel prop

i am trying to send pictures soon

Ricardo will tell you what you need to know. My guess is you need a different shield for the 290 and not sure if a duo-prop will fit on the 275 then again Ricardo will go into detail on your options. If a duoprop will fit on the 275 drive you only need to make sure there is proper preload on the driveshaft bearing and can be done with a pair of calipers and some shims. The splined sleeve for the 275 is the same for the 290 between driveshafts but not the same for the duoprop.

ok
the 290 unjoint end fork is 10 spline came off a v 6
the 275s have 26 spline end fork which complicates
things also
and as for lower unit i will try and do it
but i know noting how preload works
i have resealed the top unit useing the book
and that can out find

i need to know the best and easiest drive
to do this work
thank you for your quick replies

japato11

bearing preload is only .02mm or .0008inches it just holds the outer ring on the bearing tight in the recess. Subtract bearing height in the lower gearbox from the recess depth in the intermediate housing. Then add preload to that measurement and make arrange the shims to that thickness.

The "Duo Prop" (not duel prop) can be retrofit to any AQ series sterndrive!

There is no particular model that offers any more or less difficulty regarding the conversion.

You must follow the OEM procedure regarding the A and B dimensions re; shimming.

Also......... please see my previous post again.

Back