Logo

1998 Chrysler 140 hp outboard.

Vincecam

I have a 1998 Chrysler 140 HP outboard and I have adapted it to a bass boat.

I have rewired the boat for lights and accessories and now I am about to connect the ignition switch which is prestolite.
My question is:- I have a wiring loom from the motor with 8 coloured cables. These are Black, Blue, Red, Orange, Green, White, Purple, Yellow.
Can someone please tell me what the cables (colours) are for what?
I believe that Black is to Ground, Red is hot power, Green is Choke, and yellow is start. Can you please tell me what the rest are and correct me if I have noted the above colours incorrectly.

Also, assuming white is for the tachometer, do I piggyback off the ignition switch white to the tachometer gauge.
Similarly for the temperature gauge, whatever colour that may be, I think orange, do I connect that directly to the temperature gauge and the overheating buzzer alarm.

I would appreciate any help.
Thanks
Vincecam

I didn't know they made a 1998 140hp Chrysler or Force???
They stopped making Chrysler in 1984 and Force in 1998.
They made a 140 up till 1984
Let us know what you have?

You need 5 posts to add pics here but you can use a photo sharing site like Photo Bucket

They standardized the color code on outboard in 1982??

Attachments

• Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Picture 010.jpg
    Picture 010.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 28
I have a 1998 Chrysler 140 HP outboard and I have adapted it to a bass boat.

I have rewired the boat for lights and accessories and now I am about to connect the ignition switch which is prestolite.
My question is:- I have a wiring loom from the motor with 8 coloured cables. These are Black, Blue, Red, Orange, Green, White, Purple, Yellow.
Can someone please tell me what the cables (colours) are for what?
I believe that Black is to Ground, Red is hot power, Green is Choke, and yellow is start. Can you please tell me what the rest are and correct me if I have noted the above colours incorrectly.

Also, assuming white is for the tachometer, do I piggyback off the ignition switch white to the tachometer gauge.
Similarly for the temperature gauge, whatever colour that may be, I think orange, do I connect that directly to the temperature gauge and the overheating buzzer alarm.

I would appreciate any help.
Thanks
Vincecam

Thank you for your response Gerry very helpful. I don't know about the model have to do some checking.
regards
Vince

Back