Logo

Changing fuel tank location

I have a 1977 redline, 17 ft.
The under deck tank is trash but, i have an old inboard boat with a12 gallon aluminum tank mounted on the inside of the transom, i would like to mount this tank in the bow compartment of my boat. It will be maybe 5 feet further from the motor away from the original pick up on the old tank. Can anyone forsee any issues with this plan? I want the tank up there for the weight to help keep the bow down some while taking off.

Sounds like too much weight up front to me. Maybe figure the weight of 12 gallons of fuel and put that much weight up there and see how the boat performs first.

Gasoline weighs 6-7 lbs a gallon plus weight of tank needs to be included, Iv'e seen some threads on this site that it's a long pull for the fuel pump to overcome,but worth a shot

Alright, thanks. I'll do a temporary installation and see how she acts. I always take 2, 6 gallon tanks and put the one not being used, whether full or empty upfront.
I did not think about the fuel sloshing and possibly losing the prime on the fuel system while running around the bay in the boat. If it does not work out up there, (it's not that big of a loss, just some fuel line) I'll build a storage bench across the back of the boat but, i really don't want all that weight in the back.
I've priced new tanks to replace the factory tank and, wow, maybe next year i can replace it. I've got to concentrate my $ on the external motor parts right now.

Back