Logo

TAMD 31 starter casing full of water

pfuemar

I' ve a volvo penta TAMD 31 .
I' ve problem with the starter .The starter casing is full of water and it has damaged the eléctric starter.
Any idea what could The problem?
Kind regards

I am not sure that I have explained correctly because my native language is not English.

When I dismantle the starter motor water escaped from the housing where it is embedded in the engine block.

If you put your hand in the housing in the engine block there are two different spaces, the first is the one that has water and in the second that is where the flywheel of inertia, it was all dry.

I do not understand how it has been able to fill that water space or where it can come from.

Kind Regards.

Not sure if we are talking about the same thing but - if your engine is connected to a stern drive (out drive) unit and the drive bellows leaks, you can get water into the bell housing and the flywheel flicks it up into the starter motor. I had this issue a couple of times on some KAD32's.

Thank you aliboy .The engine is conect to a stern drive .I checked the drive and it hasn't leaks.
After a detail inspection it seems to me that there was a flooding in the bilge,about 10cm inside the flywhell.
Do you know if the bell housing has any hole in the botton that allow the water to came inside.

Kind Regards.

Grab an inspection mirror and take a look,Most manual auto transmissions do have an opening at bottom of bell housing

Back