Logo

Rev. Limiter. Please help

Sccllo115

Hello hope someone can help I have 2005 mercury 115 2 stroke does anyone know what wire to. Unhook from the rev limiter to take it out of the system to see if it is faulty . have changed the stator ,trigger and rectifire still have misfire at hire rpms . I have checked the kill wires at the switch there good. Please help I'm at a loss.

Yes I have my own manual. The limiter has four wires purple from ignition switch, brown from the trigger black ground and black and yellow that goes to each coil but the manual doesn't talk about the limiter or how to trouble shoot it.

Maybe disconnect the black yellow wires to the coils from the limiter and see if it still gets good spark to all the plugs? Black with yellow stripe is normally the kill circuit to the powerpack/switchbox.

Yes the color codes still apply I've disconnected black and yellow wire from rev limiter and motor runs fine with this unhooked will it hurt anything and. Does this mean the rev limiter is bad thanks for the help

What rpm did the engine cut out? Yes it can damage the motor if you exceed the recommended WOT rpms. We need more info to give any answers. Is it OK to run without it No I wouldnt.

Ok pretty much any rpm over idle all cylinders misfire at the same time. I know I f you exceed the recommended wot rpms. Which on my motor is 5250 Wil damage the motor. what I'm trying to find out is how to trouble shoot the rev limiter and if it's bad will it hurt to leave it unhooked until I get a new on as long as I don't exceed the recommended wot rpms.

My guess is yes you can run it without as long as your careful but wait for confirmation. Is it the cause of the problem not known. Is it possible the trigger is tripping the limiter you need to do more research. How much does the limiter cost?

My guess is yes you can run it without as long as your careful but wait for confirmation. Is it the cause of the problem not known. Is it possible the trigger is tripping the limiter you need to do more research. How much does the limiter cost?

Ok so thanks for the information and the cdi roubleshooting it's has a new trigger stator and rectifire ran through the trouble shooting step by step and if I disconnected the black and yellow wire from rev limiter the problem goes away and as soon as I plug them back in it comes back so I'm assuming that the rev limiter is bad new limiter is around $40 thanks for all your help I do really appreciate it

Back