Logo

Oil leaking from tell tale hole

EndZone

Hi to everyone, new member on the forum here and I have a problem I'm hoping you could help me with.

I bought a new Suzuki 15hp outboard in May this year. Used it for 20 hours and it was then serviced in September. Since then I've only used it two more times, last time in the beginning of October. After that, the boat and motor has been stored in my garage.
Today I noticed a drop of oil on the floor. Checked the outboard and there was another drop hanging from the tell tale hole. The drop on the floor was definitely not there one week ago, so something seems to have happened without even using the motor since October. But what can the cause be?

Please check the pic below. The oil drop was coming out of the round hole here, and I guess that is the tell-tale, isn't it?
Yes, the motor is still under warranty and I will contact a Suzuki dealer on Monday, but I really would like to have your input anyway. Thinking about this drives me nuts.

Thanks!

Edit: Can't seem to upload the pic. Please find it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fybkgcgdl9f2323/DSC_1388.JPG?dl=0

Is it a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke Are you sure that's the telltale and not exhaust, Put engine in a barrel and find out

It's a 4-stroke, bought it new in May this year. It's the exhaust, you're right. I took it down to the water this morning. Didn't go out on the water, just tested it in idle. There was a grey oil film all around the engine while idling. It seemed that it came from the exhaust. I guess it's oil, or could it be unburned fuel? I can't recall seeing that much of oil film around the engine during summer...

Anyway, it's under warranty but I'm still curious as to what could be the reason. Thanks for your help!

Ok, engine has now been serviced and the mechanic found nothing wrong with it. Maybe it was just a loose oil filter or something. Anyway, the recommendation now is to start using the boat again next spring, and if the problem occurs again, we'll have a more thorough look at it. After all, Suzuki engines comes with a seven year warranty, so I still have time :)

Thanks for all your input guys!

Good luck,did not know about 7 year warranty,thanks

Well, time to update on this. I haven't used the boat since I had it looked at, and today there was a new small amount of oil on top of the cavitation plate. I had a good look at it, and I see that the oil is seeping out in the seam where the lower unit connects to the rest of the motor. Not much oil is coming out and the oil level seems ok, but something is definitely leaking. Not sure whether its from the engine or the gearcase, but I guess it's coming from above, running down the mid unit and collecting just above the lower unit, where it slowly seeps out at the connection to the lower unit.

Or could it come from the lower unit...?

And yes, I know, I guess I need to visit a mechanic again, but just curious to know if any of you have an idea of what the problem could be?

Back