Logo

Got an old nasty patch on the hull

It was there when I bought the boat it's raised up an ugly, and i think it makes the boat pull to the left. It is under the water line and does not leak at all. I was wanting to remove this patch and repair it properly. It's an old boat, would you recommend repairing it or leaving it.

Last edited:
Depending on the damage it is probably best to do the patch inside if possible so you can smooth up the hull. Do you have access to the damage area inside? Got pics?

Its a 1977 pro line, no inside access. I'm thinking sand it down smooth, inspect the original damage an patch work integrety and doing a layer of f.g over it if its ok. The whole boat needs to be painted and this is a good time for that.

Being a 1977 it probably has open cell foam and very likely water soaked on that side. Take a hammer and tap around on the deck and transom looking for dryrot you can tell by the tone. The only way to properly patch the hull is from the inside for integrity and grind the outside in enough to put some chop in so you have fresh glass on both sides of the bad part.

Back