Logo

Mercruiser 4.5 Winterzing.

faztbullet

Silver Medal Contributor
Winterized my 1st Mercruiser 4.5 today and have to give Mercury a "thumbs up" as this is a well thought out lil engine.

Attachments

• Picture1116161849_1.jpg
    Picture1116161849_1.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Picture1116161851_1.jpg
    Picture1116161851_1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 57
Holy smokes, I would love to have my oil filter that handy!!! My boat has a 5.0L with the filter in the Good 'ol usual back of the engine location :mad:

I did treat myself this year by purchasing and using a Topsider liquid removal system: https://www.amazon.com/America-5060-Topsider-Multi-Purpose-Removing/dp/B001445IZ8
That thing made the draining the oil pan a snap. I have now pulled the pan drain hose up near the power steering bracket and fixed in place to make future oil changes easier.

On my shopping list this winter is to browse around and hopefully find a good deal on a mercruiser remote filter kit. Most kits I've found are in the $300 range. I thought about getting a generic automotive remote filter kit and modifying it to work, but I like the idea of the OEM kit so everything is nice and clean.

Any ideas on OEM versus generic filter kits?

KJ

Kevin, if up for the task, I would suggest that you build your own system. Have your hoses custom made.

I would also suggest that you steer clear of the "Inverted" cartridge style.

Perhaps look at the full flow Hayden products. Hayden also offers oil cooling systems with auto-temperature control.

Kevin, if up for the task, I would suggest that you build your own system. Have your hoses custom made.

I would also suggest that you steer clear of the "Inverted" cartridge style.

Perhaps look at the full flow Hayden products. Hayden also offers oil cooling systems with auto-temperature control.
I'm up for the task, I was just always concerned about using hose barb fittings and that's why I was looking at the OEM kits. So something like the Hayden 214 for my Mercruiser 5.0L would be fine? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hda-214/overview/make/chevrolet

I hadn't thought about making custom hoses. We have a Parker fittings shop and another locally owned place that makes custom hoses so I guess that's a viable option. I also have access to plenty of scrap stainless metal so I could definitely fab up a bracket to secure the remote part of the filter.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just wish all marine engines came factory like the 4.5L Faztbullet showed. The remote thing will be fine, but it's nice when engineers think ahead make very inconvenient things easier.

KJ

Notice the cup around oil filter and the notch,early style was messy but this one put a catch cup under notch,remove filter,wipe excess out notch,install new filter. Clean as a whistle.....

Notice the cup around oil filter and the notch,early style was messy but this one put a catch cup under notch,remove filter,wipe excess out notch,install new filter. Clean as a whistle.....

Ayuh,.... Probably woulda been to easy to turn the filter over,.....

Here's my answer to filter messes if they had,...

faztbullet said:
Notice the cup around oil filter and the notch! Early style was messy but this one put a catch cup under notch, remove filter, wipe excess out notch, install new filter. Clean as a whistle.....

Ayuh,.... Probably woulda been to easy to turn the filter over,.....

Yes Bill..... it makes perfect sense to use an oil filter in the conventional orientation.

(the "inverted" filter idea is counter-intuative!) :eek:

Back