Logo

03' 250 HDPI no start after R &R fuel fillers

DreamCasters

LONG story short. Bought boat w/o motor, saved money, year later found motor a shop sold and installed a motor on my boat..aslo 2 new batteries, did some rewire to batteries, flush fuel tank and new fuel level sensor as well. Spent lots of money.

Engine: 03' 250 HDPI. (the install tech left screw off fuel level sensor and torn gasket + w/ 21 year old floor hatch + raining three weeks = LOTS of water in my tank and towed in on my 2nd trip out!!! I found the leak my self, the one he oddly complained about at pick-up day after install..he noticed and told me to keep any eye out..there seems to be a hole in my tank!! LOL...too late?

..so after getting towed in

R&R Racor w/ bowl, Engine mounted seperator, VST screen and Med Pressure myself. It fired for a split second.. but then cranks only...STILL NO START.
If I drain the VST tank and refill with primer ball, it'll fire again for a split second, then back to cranking only.

I've got fuel pressure spraying out nice from Schrader,
I've got VST tank pump buzzing
I've got good fuel volume from top of VST tank when I disconnect hose from Med Pressure Filter..flow with pressure out w/ key on and at cranking.

Seems it is immediately losing pressure after initial fire-cough, then dies again...Any ideas??

Last edited:
How are you checking the fuel pressure? Do you have a gauge hooked to the VST? Did you change the filter between the vst and the high pressure pump? Did you drain all the water from the fuel rails?

Thanks Dockside for the reply.

I changed the Med Pressure $100. filter between the VST & HP pump.

Just google "fule rails pic"...didnt even think of that..so no sir, I didn't drain them of water. (I'll search web for instructions on that)

Checked pressure only visually..I do not have a Fuel pressure gauge, but can get one. I assume, connect it at Schrader? What psi's am I look for?

Thanks so much, I'll get started researching, and checking.

Back