Logo

Garden hose & muff on 225's??

sea bee

There has been conversation about a garden hose and muff not being able to supply enough water to cool a 225HP (mine are 2003’s). I acknowledge this to be accurate, but wonder if it is safe to run the motor for a short time (1 minute? 5 minutes? ) with a muff. I would want to do this for mainly 2 reasons, a better flush and to warm the oil before changing. I know a lot depends on the size of the hose, water pressure and the quality of the muff, but I’m just looking for some guidelines or suggestions.D

Last edited:
I believe every gear case has a relief hole. Put your finger over it and give it time for the gear case to fill up with water before starting the engine. The motor especially a 4stroke with crankcase oil to cool won't go bad in a minute run. The only damage is the impeller. In this case the impeller housing is filled with water and constant wetness. You can run it no problem, but do not rev it. Just let it idle.
Good luck!

Will check the shop manual for relief hole, certainly would help. The motor does have the typical garden house flush system that cannot be used with the engine running, do you know if this would fill the impeller housing? If it does, could prime the area this way (motor not running) and then shut flush system down and switch over to the muff and start the engine.

All you need to do is let the water run through the muffs until you see a drizzle coming out of the indicator. That will guarantee that water is in the pump housing. In fact, the first thing that will get water from the muffs is the water pump housing, then it works its way up into the motor from there. You are probably OK running at idle for 5 to 8 minutes with the muffs before you get an overheat situation.

Johnny - that's not always a good test. On the 225 you can have an overheat situation, but will not necessarily feel hot water coming from the indicator.

Back