Logo

Using the gear off a 77 model evinrude 35 to convert my 78 model 35 to election start

Joscoz

Hi I am trying convert my 78 evinrude 35 to electric start, I already have the flywheel teeth on my 78 but there seems to be extra wires going to the magneto on the 77 do I have to swap the Magneto's?

You should probably just swap the magneto plate do you have a three wire or a four wire regulator is all I can think of. You may as well take advantage of the charging system from the 77 as well. Racer will know better what you need to do.

You only have to swap the magnetos if you want to charge the battery. That magneto is a one piece sealed unit specific for the electric start models up until 1980 or so. It will be an easy swap to do as it will fit on the existing magneto plate and like I said you only need to swap if you want to charge the battery.

You only have to swap the magnetos if you want to charge the battery. That magneto is a one piece sealed unit specific for the electric start models up until 1980 or so. It will be an easy swap to do as it will fit on the existing magneto plate and like I said you only need to swap if you want to charge the battery.

Thank-you , the flywheel on the 77 is not in good shape I'll struggle to get it off I think so just charge the battery after a trip. I'm also chasing a wiring diagram, because as careful as I was putting it in the same as t came off I keep blowing the fuse that's on there. Something's in the wrong place.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ABN-...046088?hash=item51da8d53c8:g:iSsAAOSwOVpXdtMk
Get three 1/4 20 grade 8 bolts 3-4 inches long and thread them in the flywheel 5 threads then crank down on the puller until you feel the bolts will break. Then lift up hard on the puller and give the puller a good wack on the end of the ram with a hammer the flywheel should snap off. If its stubborn spray some WD on the shaft and just leave it overnight with high tension on the puller it will likely just pop off by itself.

Back