Logo

Erratic timing poor idle

I believe, actually i'm sure of the firing to be fixed as of now. Having to start the motor in with neutral throttle advanced. Then dying when returned to idle. I removed the intake manifold today and found a portion of a leaf in the in the reed valve and a couple other reed valves that seem to not close all the way and also two faulty check valves. I'm assuming that this would cause hard to start and no idle. Does this sound accurate?

So there was a leaf in the leaf is that not ironic. The tip of the leaf/reed should be no more than .010" off of the plate. Are you sure they are check valves? check to see if there is a check valve on the other end of the tube the fitting is connected to.

I though the same on the leaf situation go figure... Yeah there are four check valves on the intake. i'm not sure exactly which does what but i think some recirculate unused fuel and others lube the bearings maybe. Not to sure about the reeds being out of speck i'll have to check them all I do however know that at least the one finger of one valve is way out due to the leaf in leaf situation

I found the primer hose diagram in a old manual I have it shows four check valve filters and two primer fittings on the intake manifold. One of each of the check valves goes to its bypass port and the two primer ports are center top of where the carbs mount. I stand corrected it says they are for fuel transfer.

Back