Logo

1998 Evinrude 115

Jimbo B

I had a situation yesterday that as I was moving to full plane, the engine felt like it just came out of gear and the RPM revved up. I could back the throttle down and go about 20-25 mph and it was fine. When I tried to move it to where I normally run a t 30-35 mph, it would just lose the forward thrust. Any suggestions??

Could also be something going on with the lower unit. Any noise coming from the lower unit out of the ordinary? Especially on take off from idle speed.

You guys got it perfectly. Placed my spare prop on and it ran great. Now I got a new question. Since it was late in the year, I ran the gas out of the engine to store over the winter. This morning I noticed a slight amount of oil dripping down the bottom of the motor. Only a small amount, but had never noticed that before. It looks like engine oil not lower unit. I just changed the lower unit oil and it was pristine. Any ideas.

Best to take the trouble to drain the carburetors... read on.

(Running Engine Out Of Gas)
(J. Reeves)

If the engine has but one carburetor, it's unlikely that running the engine out of gas would do any harm. When the carburetor runs out of the fuel/oil mixture, the engine stops running.

However, a engine that has more than one carburetor should simply be shut off. The reasoning is that the top carburetor will run out of fuel first due to gravity and the engine will continue to run on because of the still existing fuel in the other lower carburetors.

This results in having at least one aluminum piston running up and down a steel cylinder wall with improper or no lubrication. Not a good idea!

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Sorry , but oil does not instantly disappear from bearings and cast iron sleeves.-----Never saw a warning on a fuel tank or in a manual on danger of running out of fuel either.

Sorry , but oil does not instantly disappear from bearings and cast iron sleeves.-----Never saw a warning on a fuel tank or in a manual on danger of running out of fuel either.

There are also no signs, no kind of warnings advising boaters not to... oh, never mind, why waste my time!? (sigh)

Back