Logo

Fuel Sender Inquiry

jason17

I have a 89 Ebbtide 196 SS. It has a 38 gallon tank. My fuel gauge has upset me since I bought it and I'm ready to fix it. Trouble is I'm unable to locate a sender that even comes close to the one I have. The one installed is 12 inches deep and my tank is 15 inches deep. It is a dual read type. You can look at the top for manual indication or look at the gauge too. Both work however it is so inaccurate it's terrible. I like having a reserve in the tank but a 15 gallon reserve is a little much. In the attached picture of the gauge, that is what 15 gallons looks like. Absolutely ridiculous. I must have the level that pivots about half way down. My tank isn't suitable for any type of lengthy arm for the float. I believe it is a Rochester and it has the numbers "6741-6 7/8 6-D88" on the side of it. The picture didn't come out very well or else I would have added it.

Attachments

• IMG_0169.jpg
    IMG_0169.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0170.jpg
    IMG_0170.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0171.JPG
    IMG_0171.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Sorry that I can't help you on that specific sender. However, I have never seen any of those gauges provide an accurate reading. You are far bettor off installing a fuel flow meter in your fuel line. It will accurately measure usage so you know when to fill up. My Honda 225 has one build in and it's accurate within +/- 2 gallons on a 100 gallon fill up. You can purchase and install an external one which will have a similar accuracy. Plus the good ones also give you MPG and GPH readings, allowing you to be more frugal. Prices range all over the place - from about $175 to north of $500.

There is a offset screw pattern normally on the fuel tank opening the float arm should work just fine when you match the pattern, be sure and install a new gasket if the sender dont come with one.

I bought the Moeller on amazon, it's too long for my tank. The gauge on the dash works well through the entire span of the installed sending unit, so I think it's ok. I think I'm ultimately going to be forced into the "reed switch" type to really get a accurate indication. Down side of that, is it's not a mechanical indicator as well like my current sender.

Is that the swing arm sender? If so just cut it off so the float just barely is above the bottom of the tank and just plan on heading to the fuel dock after the guage reads below 1/4 tank. If the guage stops bobbing get worried. How big is your engine will determine the gallons per hour.

Back