Logo

HELP NEEDED on choosing new motor

Georgiaboy67

Advanced Contributor
There are a select few who know of the countless motor troubles I've had on my papaws 20 year old boat. I have finally decided to bite the bullet and get rid of it and buy anew one. However I need help deciding what outboard should power my boat. I want a boat with a 150 hp. Best bang to my buck. Should I do an e-etc, merc optimax, or a Yamaha? Any first-hand details on cost efficiency, fuel consumption, top end speed and maintenance are greatly welcome!

IMO the Honda 150 has the best reputation out there, but like all 4-strokes they need to be well maintained. Most of the major manufacturer 150 HP engines have been around for a long time and any of them will likely give you good service.

You decision needs to be centered on what you plan to use the engine for and dealer support. Having a good, trustworthy dealer who is conveniently located to where ever the boat is stored should be your primary decision point.

The service shop is 20 minutes from my house. I like them much better then the previous shop I had work done at, the boat will be used for fishing pretty much every month, for several days at a time.

They do both. They sell boats on one side and repair on the other side of the building. They work on evinrude, mercury and Yamaha. Just about the only 3 I'd look for to buy

I saw an advertisement for mercury optimax,limited time offer for 5 years in the boatshopper.com etec 5 year limited warranty with free rigging. Yamaha,new 4-strokes, Add three years of Yamaha Extended Service (Y.E.S.) to your three-year Yamaha Limited Warranty for a total of SIX years of coverage---at no additional cost.

Back