Logo

Paint or buff canoe gel coat

Dude

I removed the red paint the previous owner had put on the upper half of a canoe.
I used an power sander for this.
Not sure it was a good idea, but now it's done.
I tried to damage the gel coat as little possible.
Now, there are some very thin traces of red paint remaining and the gel coat is white everywhere the sander passed (see photos).

My question is:

Should I try to get rid of all the red and then use a power buffer to get the gel coat shiny again and, hence, never have paint peeling again or should I just paint the canoe?

Thanks for your thoughts

Attachments

• canoe1.jpg
    canoe1.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 34
  • canoe2.jpg
    canoe2.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 34
  • canoe3.jpg
    canoe3.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 37
  • canoe4.jpg
    canoe4.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 34
  • canoe5.jpg
    canoe5.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 36
looks like you are thru the gelcoat in several spots....I'd be inclined to strip it down, fair it out, and use a two-part polyurethane paint on it....

Finish doing the prep using the instructions from the two part polyurethane you decide to use. Follow the recommendations exactly as far as primer prep and topcoat. Thinners, temps and coat thickness will make a big difference in the final product. You can do a gloss overcoat but it is very important with cure times and temps once you start spraying figure on three days with no longer than 10-12hrs between coats for good adhesion. Lots of thin coats is much better than one or two thick coats.

Back