Logo

Volvo Penta 3.0 to 3.0 efi or 4.3 or 5.7

Waynerzman

Hi all

i have a 1997 54' houseboat powered by a 3.0 Volvo Penta connected to a cobra leg.

The engine compartment has has lots of room in it. How difficult is it to swap to a 4.3 or 5.7? Also another option I would like is the newer 3.0 efi that uses a serpentine belt and has the alternator up high where it should be.

I want a reliable engine engine that can push this big boat and not go crazy on fuel.

I would appreciate any any help and suggestions thanks

Your probably best served upgrading everything at the same time with a newer duo-prop. If you get a bigger motor you need to change the gear ratio as well.

Your probably best served upgrading everything at the same time with a newer duo-prop. If you get a bigger motor you need to change the gear ratio as well.

Hey it actually pushes the boat not bad. I'd say cruising around 7-8 mph. No speedo. That said larger boats will go by me pretty quick with 4.3 L engines.

I would think that a 54 foot houseboat hull will respond more like a troller hull and most likely at hull speed only.

More power may push it a bit faster. The Duo Prop will take more of the Engine's power and turn it into a better form of hydro-propulsion.
However, I would not expect to see a tremendous amount of any fuel efficiency.

In answer to your questions;

Yes, you would need to extend or install engine stringer mounts for the 4.3L or 5.7L engine.
Yes, a different drive ratio would be required.
Going to EFI will get you a more precisely running engine, but will not create a huge fuel savings.

Before considering changing engines, I would see what engine options were available for this exact boat back when it was manufactured back in 1997.
If a 4.3L or 5.7L was an option, I would read up on customer reviews.

Is the current engine turning the proper WOT rpms? Your basically pushing a barge is the prop the correct pitch to get the best fuel economy? Is the gear ratio correct for a four cyl? You have a VP engine with a OMC drive it would be good to confirm what you actually have first and go from there?

Is the current engine turning the proper WOT rpms? Your basically pushing a barge is the prop the correct pitch to get the best fuel economy? Is the gear ratio correct for a four cyl?
You have a VP engine with a OMC drive...... it would be good to confirm what you actually have first and go from there?

The OP says; "i have a 1997 54' houseboat powered by a 3.0 Volvo Penta connected to a cobra leg!"

By 1994, OMC was no longer in biz. The drives were then Volvo Penta with some carry-over parts listing OMC or Cobra on them.
(the term "joint venture" was loosely used)

Being that the boat is a 1997, I am thinking that the OP is mistaken. If so, the drive would be an SX drive by Volvo Penta.

Pictures would clear things up.

Back