Logo

Terminology

If you have one of these on your engine, it's "fresh water cooled", a not totally accurate
but commonly used term. It will be on a cylindrical (usually) tank oriented either vertically or horizontally, on the front, back or side of the engine.

Attachments

• radcap.jpg
    radcap.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
This is an Exhaust Manifold.
View attachment 14440

This is an Exhaust Elbow!
View attachment 14441

This is an Exhaust Riser!

View attachment 14442

This is an Engine!
View attachment 14443

This is a Motor!
View attachment 14444

Feel Free to add to the list.

Chris, my hat is off to you for posting this. :D :)
I cringe when I hear an alleged seasoned mechanic (auto or marine) refer to an "Engine" as a "Motor"! :mad:
Engines convert a fuel source (gasoline, diesel, coal, wood) it into energy.... be it rotational enery, reciprocating energy or jet thrust, etc, . .
Whereas a Motor requires power/energy from a remote source..... such as electricity from a Generator or Battery, nuematic pressure from an Air Compressor, hydraulic fluid pressure from a Hydraulic Pump, steam from a Boiler, etc, etc.

Regarding the exhaust riser....... I would add that these should be refered to as "Riser/Spacer" to be more discriptive.

And again...... thank you for posting this.
Perhaps together we can slowly convince some of our members that this is an Engine..... not a Motor, and is why this forum is called MarineEngine.com!

images

If you have one of these on your engine, it's "fresh water cooled", a not totally accurate
but commonly used term. It will be on a cylindrical (usually) tank oriented either vertically or horizontally, on the front, back or side of the engine.

All due respect...... but there is NOTHING fresh about Ethylene Glycol and H2O mixture while being used as a "coolant".
Refering to these systems as FWC or Fresh Water cooled is a misnomer.
These are technically "Closed Cooling Systems".
The cap is a "pressure cap"..... be it used for a car/truck radiator, or for a Marine Heat Exchanger.

And this is Coffee...... of which I'm getting back to in just a minute! :D :D

And BTW...... bellhousings are found in automotive applications.
The equivilent part in a marine application is a "Flywheel Cover".

Merc uses a Gimbal Housing against the boat's transom..... whereas Volvo Penta calls the equivilant a Transom Shield.

What ticks me off is when some doofus says his "Motor won't crank over." To me (and sensible people) that means the starter won't spin her over, when the doofus is really saying the motor won't start up!

Jeff

What ticks me off is when some doofus says his "Motor won't crank over." To me (and sensible people) that means the starter won't spin her over, when the doofus is really saying the motor won't start up!

Jeff

I guess he was saying that his starter is not working.

I hear you on this one though, "Crank over" and "Start/fire" are two different things.

I do a lot of mobile service, customers will call with their issues and I will set an appointment to visit their boat. I will ask them where their boat is located, the standard answer is "at my house".......How about an address ....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Jeff

I hear ya!
It's likely that he meant to say that his "Engine" won't crank over!
:D

Unless it is a trolling motor, it is an outboard engine.
Yes....... (see post #3 again)

I guess he was saying that his starter is not working.

I hear you on this one though, "Crank over" and "Start/fire" are two different things.
And if the member is in the UK, they call it "tick-over".

I do a lot of mobile service, customers will call with their issues and I will set an appointment to visit their boat. I will ask them where their boat is located, the standard answer is "at my house"....... How about an address ....:rolleyes:

That one reminds of the carpenter's helpers who were sent to the lumber yard to pick up a 2"x4".
The lumberman asked one of them how long he wanted it.
With a somewhat perplexed look on his face, he turned to the other helper..... and then he turned back to the lumberman and said; "quite a while....... we're building a house!"

Another one that gets me is the use of Left side or Right side, in lieu of Port and Starboard.

I have read posts where a person refers to the "front of his drive", when he is actually looking at the AFT-most area of his drive.
I try to encourage customers to refer to each section of any part on the boat as though it is installed.
This keeps FWD, AFT, Port and Stbd relevant and more meaningful.

Another good one..... "my bilge is not working!" when they meant to say that "my bilge PUMP is not working!"

Several more of my favorites (when refering to the gasoline V-8 marine engines) are "lifters" and "setting valves".
The term "lifter" is from the old days. Today these are technically "cam followers" and most that we deal with are hydraulic!
And.... we do not adjust valves........ we adjust the depth of the cam follower plunger.
(maybe that's a bit too technical for this thread)

Edit:

How about; "my battery is low on water!" (the liquid within a wet cell battery is "electrolite" )

The use of the word "Ground" is also one of my pet peeves.
12 volt Direct Current does not need nor requiire a "ground". This type of electrical current offers Positive and Negative only..... yet will see electrical parts manufactures listing "ground" on their schematics.
Oh well! :eek:

Last edited:
Bt Doctur...... I believe that when Chris started this thread, he was refering to Marine related terminology!

However, I do agree with you..... that small fixed wing crash had to be very painful! Ouch!

Back