Logo

Correct exit points for exhaust gases.

1989GT150V6

Hi

I recently replace the water pump on my 89 GT150 E150TXCEM and although she is running well I have noticed that the exhaust gases are now coming from the two pairs of slotted holes near the cavitation plate (see pics).

I cant remember if this was happening before or is normal - could someone let me know if this is ok?

It could be that as I have disturbed the exhaust seal the gases are leaking out and finding there way out of these holes.

If it doesn't make any difference I would prefer to leave it as it took hours to re-attach the gear linkage shaft under the carbs which must be the most inaccessible bolt on earth!

It also looks like initially I just get exhaust gas then when the stats open get a mixture of gas and water.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

89GT150.jpg

Initially, when new, that metal to metal surface is sealed so that no water will escape at that point whether leaking internally or being blown out externally sideways at that joint area.

Eventually that metal to metal surface clogs up with marine life, debris, etc. Every time the lower unit is removed, that natural seal is broken and the cycle continues.

If it bothers you, the next time you remove the lower unit, clean the surfaces thoroughly then apply a bead of the following sealer to the lower unit sealing surface. Let it dry for a few minutes before replacing the unit, then clean off whatever is squeezed out.

OMC Adhesive is now Bombardier 3M Product #847 and may be listed as Scotchgrip 847, part number 776964

Last edited:
Back