Logo

Can a Merc 140 replace an OMC 140 on a stringer outdrive?

ohopluke

Hello all! I have a seized OMC 140 in a stringer drive. Wondering if a MercCruiser 140 will bolt to the stringer? There are a lot more Mercs available in my area. I can't see why it wouldn't work. Upstream of all the drive parts and pieces is the block. A block is a block, and they're the same GM block. But life is full of details isn't it! What am I missing? Is this too easy to be true?

I appreciate any thoughts, ideas, advice, criticism. Thanks for your help!

What condition is the drive? Parts for the stringer are getting harder to find and alot more expensive. You may be better served upgrading to a system that you can maintain in the future. As far as the engine a GM block is a GM block of the same era others here will know better. Will the drive survive a fresh engine?

I don't see any signs of weakness in the drive, it only has 600 hours on it, in a 50 year old boat. The last owner appears to have maintained things very well.

I have thought about replacing the drive, but I wonder if a transom designed for a stringer drive would handle the forces of a transom mounted drive? Is there even a difference? Maybe I'm over thinking it.

After cruising craigslist for a few weeks I'm really surprised how many stringer drives are out there, in all stages of repair, and prices are all over the place. I really would like to modernize the drive train, but we have an all original boat and we want to keep it as close as we can. But, we have kids and we like big water so maybe reliability should be a more prominent concern.

Thanks for your thoughts, research, research, research for me!

About the only difference would be the size of the hole for the shield. Some motors are cantilevered without engine mounts up front it is not the drive weight smaller engines generally dont need front mounts the weight is centered on the shield. The drives basically are the same weight it is the gear ratio that is different for larger motors plus the weight up front. You can allways beef up the transom if necessary. Sounds like you just need a good motor for now and see how it goes.

Wondering if a MercCruiser 140 will bolt to the stringer?

Ayuh,.... Only if ya strip the Merc motor to the Long Block configuration, then redress it with all the OMC accessories,....

A bobtail merc motor, will not bolt up to a stringer, nor any other manufacturer's drive,....

Back