Logo

1978 70hp Evinrude engine

daviejj

I have a 1978 70hp Evinrude engine that runs great at all rpms when not in gear. As you put it in gear it will not take the gas when under load. Can anyone help me with this problem?
Warm regards

Thanks Johnnygir for the reply. What do you mean by an OPEN AIR GAP SPARK TEST? Could the fuel pump cause this?

Thanks, Ron

You need to go the trouble shooting.-----------Post the results of a compression test.------And can the spark jump a gap of 7/16" or more in open air.----Sparkplugs are not used to do that test.---------Test the fuel pump by using the manual fuel pump.----------Does using the manual pump improve the running of the motor.

Explain "runs great at all rpm's when not in gear". Are you saying you are running at full throttle in neutral? Bad, bad. If it really were running great, that could scatter engine parts all over the place when it explodes. So, hoping that isn't what you mean.

Well it only barks and roars on a hose / muffs / nuetral and sounds great to the untrained ear.--------That motor sounds good on the muffs running on 2 of 3 cylinders.---------

What I meant was the motor runs great at fast idle. I definitely don't run it at full throttle in neutral. Do you have any other suggestions?
Many thanks.

What I meant was the motor runs great at fast idle. I definitely don't run it at full throttle in neutral. Do you have any other suggestions?
Many thanks.

You NEED to do everything in post #2.An open air spark tester can be purchased for less than $10

Back