Logo

1976 Evinrude 6hp anti cavitation plate broke

Peterpd99

Hi all,

I'd somehow broke the anti-cavitation plate(not sure if that's what it's called- refer to photo).
my question is, will it Impede the performance at all? Should I just leave it or get someone to do some welding? I was thinking of cutting the other side off just to make it look balance.
thanks for any advice.
IMG_1459.jpg
IMG_1458.jpg

Peter

Is it creating issues? It is called a antiventilation plate but commonly called a cavitation plate. Ventiolation is when air gets sucked into the prop and cavitation is when the prop has a defect and the water actually boils from the pressure difference. There are some good videos that explain it better but as long as the prop is not ventilating it will hurt nothing the way it is. How far down from the bottom of the boat is the cavitation plate in the running position. Welding aluminum can be real tricky it has no memory. Keep a eye on craigslist for a 6hp jonnyrude of the same era. You may get lucky and find a good cheap parts motor.

Hey, thanks for the help.
id just watched some videos as suggested...and I have better understanding of how it works.
didn't feel any difference, but I will pay more attention to it next time.

Back