Logo

Johnson 130HP pulling to the right

FendtLad

Hi everyone,

Our Johnson 130hp seems to be pulling to the right quite badly when cruising. Do I need to adjust the trim tab to the right a fraction more? Thanks for the help

If it is pulling badly enough to cause you to complain about it, you probably need to move the trim tab as far as it will go. And even that may not be enough. Some boats are much worse about that than others.

Thanks for the feedback. How would I know if it's cable or hydraulic steering? I can't see any individual cables but could it be they are housed in a big cable about 13mm round?

Speaking in generalities, cable steering has one fairly thick cable that goes directly through the motor's tilt tube and comes out the other side, with a drag link connecting the end of the cable back to the motor's steering arm. Hydraulic steering has two hoses connected to a hydraulic cylinder, which connects to the steering arm. There are several variations of the system. But they all work by pumping oil into one or the other end of the hydraulic cylinder.

Neither of the systems are "Power Steering". You still provide the power via your muscles to steer the motor against the torque. But hydraulic steering and No-Feedback cable steering lock at whatever position it was at when you stopped turning the steering wheel, so you don't have to constantly hold it against the torque. Yes, they automatically unlock immediately when you again turn the wheel.

Back