Logo

90hp link and sync

weshebron

I was wondering if anyone could provide some "for dummies" kind of info as to the best way of going about a link and sync for a 1986 evinrude 90hp e90tlcdc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've read that the full advance timing can be done at full throttle cranking but not sure if this model has "Fast Start" feature that needs to be disconnected if trying to set timing by this method. Also not sure how to go about this exactly. I have found tdc with indicator and have backed off all screws suck as idle speed screw and the tumb wheel that adjust the cam. Once again thanks in advance.

I agree i purchased one which has greatly helped in this project. However I have never properly set the timing after rebuilding the carbs and have never attempted to set the timing on any outboard for that matter. Actually i''ve done a lot of work on the motor over the past year and it is running pretty good but i'm quite positive it needs to be properly timed. I don't really have a way to get my hands on a test prop so i would like to see if i can achieve full advance timing by the 24deg cranking method .

Look through the forums for the Joe Reeves Timing Method. This is done by cranking the motor over only. I've used it for years and it works.

Thank you for the info on the joe reeves method.

Maybe i should ask if this procedure sounds acceptable. also could use some clarification on a few steps.

1. set full advance timing @ 24deg full throttle cranking all plugs removed #1 plug wired grounded with spark tester and timing light attached to #1 plug wire. (not to sure about the placement of the rubber stopper idle speed adjustment)
2. Reinstall plugs and place motor in test tank.
3. Start motor and advance throttle so spark advances to 4deg checking with timing light attached to #1 wire. (not sure if motor needs to be in gear or if this can be achieved in neutral) align the cam with the cam follower.
4. while engine off make sure the throttle shaft roll pins are vertical at full throttle (will the roll pins stop at vertical or will they continue to advance if not stopped?)
5. Set the full throttle stop.
6. Set idle speed 600-700 in gear.

link and sync and the Reeves method.
don't forget to reduce overall timing by 4 degrees using this method, idle timing takes care of itself..

Idle speed will need to be fine tuned with boat in water, don't stress over it until then.
Roll pins WILL go past WOT, thats why there is an adjustment to set that.

The beauty of the Reeves method is that you don't have to run WOT on the water (checking timing), and you don't have to screw with idle timing. Step #3 above is unnecessary, it will confirm you have achieved what you set out to do.
#4 should be first, and verified several times during other adjustments, it is all connected. #5 and #4 are the same. Aligning cam to cam follower should be part of this process.

Couple things to suggest; fully charge cranking battery, I keep the charger on until completed. You will crank quite a bit.
Ground all plugs to spark checker, stray sparks can cause a fire.

Wayne thank you very much for your input. The process is a lot clearer now. I guess i kinda forgot to ask one important question and potentially a dumb one. How am i to adjust full throttle advance? Is this is achieved by the finding the correct hole to place the timing rod into (the white block with the staggered three holes)?

Back