Logo

1963 5.5 HP Evinrude Fisherman Oil Mix

seeedsntrees

Local Dealer suggested a 50:1 mix using the latest synthetic and blend oil since the new oils and fuels are way better than that of 1963.

I do believe, a 24:1 mix us suggested in 1963.

Any opinions? Perhaps a 40:1 mix?

It is a 1963 Fisherman, twin.

Interesting comment from the Evinrude Dealer....

Thanks...

Go with 24:1 until you hear from others here better safe than sorry. The only downfall would be you need to replace plugs a little more often. If you do alot of trolling go ahead and open it up regularly to blow the cobwebs out.

1964 was the first year for the 50:1 mix.--------------------Now it would be interesting for you to compare the parts ( on this site ) between a 63 and 64 model.------------They had needle bearings on the big end of the rod both years.-----------------I firmly believe that the BOARD ROOM changed the recommended mix !

dealer is an idiot, or wants to sell you a new engine. :|
I'd go with the 24:1 even with a modern (conventional) oil, modern metallurgy vs. 1963 vintage metallurgy, I wouldn't chance synthetic at all.
Let 'er smoke and change plugs, at least you'd have a hell of a time wearing it out.

Well, from what I could find, the needle bearings are the same, but I'm sure there are other factors involved.

Still could not believe the Dealer, but he insisted that it is OK to use 50:1 mix.

Just another case of a poor understanding of how lubrication of 2 stroke engines actually works.---------That motor will run all day long with fuel mixed at 50:1.--------I believe the dealer is correct and knows the facts.

We used 30W-HD motor oil for mix back then the oil used now is a much better quality as long as it dont have pennzoil on the label. If you do alot of slow speed trolling be sure and set the slow needle a little rich to protect the motor. It helps on cold starts as well.

Seems that folks can not comprehend what happened back when.--------A 62 model 5.5 hp and a 64 model 5.5 hp are the same parts.----------------The public believes that a 50:1 motor must be better built than a 24:1 motor.--------------Therefor the board room decided that all the motors could suddenly run on a 50:1 mix.--------------It is the thinking and public perception that made up their minds.

Back