Logo

Help with Volvo penta PDS

Mta123

Just bought a 1994 Regal Venture 8.3 SE, 740 DP, form the insurance company.
The upper transmission and PDS has been removed. The PDS appears to be the single bearing kind but I have the red F/C. I'm need to replace the bearings but need help identifying what Outdrive I have and what bearings and seals I need.
http://https://goo.gl/photos/jAn6nkPmzR4jgFzC6

You have an AQ series drive.
If the F/C is red, it's likely that it has been painted.
None-the-less, your PDS is a single bearing PDS w/ the pilot nose.
Make sure that the crankshaft is fitted with the pilot bushing that supports the nose.

This style F/C is not fitted with a grease port, of which means that you need a sealed bearing.
The bearing is typically a 6206 .... but will have an extension on it.... I.E., 62062RS
Be sure to use the sealded bearing.
The sealed bearing will go for 3 or 4 years.

Also, this PDS is removable from AFT without engine removal.
Be sure to apply a bit of grease to the pilot nose area.

Last edited:
I was hoping it was the single bearing that didn't require removal of the engine. Would you happen to know the part # for the snap rings and seals?
Thanks for the help.

That PDS shaft has seen better days, if the splines are still in good shape you can press a speedisleeve on it for the front seal I doubt you can dress that one up it looks pretty pitted. You can leave the lip on the sleeve just clean the shaft good and put a nice bead of loctite on it then press the sleeve on about 3/16 inch past the existing seal groove worn in the shaft.

Looks like the seal part number is VOLVO 958860-9. I've got everything ordered, now if I can get the broken snap rings out of the F/C I should be in good shape.

The AFT seal is a 35x62x7mm single lip in either Timken or TCM.

The bearing is an industry standard 62062RS.

These can be purchased through most any Industrial Bearing Supplier.
You may see a SKET, SKF, Timken, NTN or Koyo etc, etc.
They will be the same bearing and seal as what you would otherwise receive from V/P w/ their p/n on the box..... and at a fraction of V/P prices.

Just DO NOT use any chineese bearings.

The snap rings can be matched up and purchased at a NAPA parts store.

In all my 24 years of doing AQ series mechanical work, I have never found a suitable snap ring tool that works well with PDS removal.
IMO...... You'll do better with a Looooooong Needle Nose pliers with the tips modified for the snap ring eyelets.

Edit:

The 6206-2RS is a sealed bearing.
The AFT 35x62x7mm seal is NOT a water seal.
This seal serves as a grease hold-back seal (re; double open bearing PDS) and a dust seal only.
There is no need for a speedy-sleeve.
If you end up with water in this area, you have much bigger problems.

Last edited:
Looks like I have a double bearing F/C with a single bearing PDS...... Is this OK?
In all of my 24 years or so of AQ series repair work, I have never seen a Pilot nosed PDS installed in the RED OEM "double bearing PDS" Flywheel Cover.
This would be my first hearing of it!

The crankshaft has a pilot bushing in it.
Update pictures
https://goo.gl/photos/6N2p5K6fnFyvBTGt8

This is the PDS that you linked us to in your first post.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=NDByNllMaThyUU4wUnNXaUxYcXdHR1dJOHUtWGRn

Mat, does your RED 1 pc flywheel cover have a grease fitting or grease cap on it?
If so, it is intended to use the "double bearing" PDS....... and if not, it will use the "single bearing" PDS with the pilot nose.

However, and as I said earlier....... I have not seen a S/B PDS installed in a D/B PDS F/C before.
The red GM V-8 1 pc F/C has always used the D/B PDS..... w/o the pilot nose.
All in-line Volvo Penta 6 cylinder engines, Volvo Penta OHC 4 cylinder engines, and the Ford V-8 engines were commonly fitted with the S/B PDS w/ pilot nose.

If the geometry works........ there ya go! :D

Is it threaded where the plug is? Just thinking you could add a grease fitting and pump the PDS bearing full of grease? Unless you already bought the sealed bearing.

Here is a Red OEM Volvo Penta AQ series GM V-8 flywheel cover that incorporated the double bearing PDS.
Note the grease fitting just inboard of the rubber cushion ring.
This F/C accepts the 153 tooth ring gear flywheel ONLY.

mU3yjJ1OXeQ2rc15x5D_vuA.jpg
mBcnMONZ5jFYSuCPL1qv5UA.jpg

Volvo-Penta-Bell-Housing-26-Spline-835978.JPG

Here is a later Charcoal Gray AQ series GM V-8 flywheel cover that incorporates the single bearing PDS.
Note that there is NO grease port for a single bearing PDS.
This F/C also accepts the larger 168 tooth ring gear flywheel.

$_35.JPG
$_35.JPG

Last edited:
Everything is back together and appears to be working as it should.
Could not have done it without your help, thanks everyone for helping.

Back