Logo

Johnson v4 115 water pump witness

jagrbomb11

Hello everyone
I just put a 1978 Johnson v4 115 back together. Got it running the other night and noticed that no water was coming out of the witness stream. I took the leg off and checked to make sure that the water pump was lined up properly with the water tube. Put the leg back on and fired it up and waited a little longer to see if water would start coming out of the witness. After about 10 seconds of no water coming out of the witness, water started pouring out of the 2 exhaust holes on the upper leg. I shut it down immediately. I also noticed that a lot of water seemed to be coming out of the gear case even after the water was turned off and the muffs removed. Anyone have any ideas what could be happening?

Likely it is all normal.-----------------Check the witness hose and fitting.------------Likely plugged with debris.

Instead of running it on muffs, try it in a big bucket or tub. Better yet, leave it on the trailer, and try it in a lake.

Yup looks like the witness was gummed up. Thanks for the help guys. Took the motor out on the lake after getting it running and noticed that out of the two upper exhaust holes there is still quite a stream of water. Like a couple garden hoses on full blast. I did also install a new water pump during the rebuilt but not sure if it would be pumping the much extra water. Could this be a problem?

Took the motor out on the lake after getting it running and noticed that out of the two upper exhaust holes there is still quite a stream of water. Like a couple garden hoses on full blast.
Those are the exhaust relief ports and what you're seeing is completely normal behavior. Not seeing water at first, then seeing it come out of these ports is correct. With the thermostat closed (cold operation) there is not full flow of water through the block and no appreciable amounts of water in the relief ports. When the thermostat opens water flows through all passages and the exhaust where a good bit of it goes out through the ports.

KJ

Back