Logo

2011 yamaha 40 bogging down/starving for fuel

Jason M

I have a 2011 yamaha 40hp. It's hand tiller and fuel injected. It has started giving me problems with bogging down or starving for fuel. When I first start it and leave the ramp it runs fine. Then I'll stop and fish for awhile and when I start the motor to move it won't run right. I assume it's not getting enough fuel. It doesn't cut off it just bogs down. I cut it off and try pumping the primer bulb (mostly because I don't know what else to do) and eventually it clears up and runs fine. It has been an intermittent problem all summer but lately it seems worse. I replaced the fuel line and that didn't clear it up.

The fuel line I bought was 3/8 because I thought that's what it was and all the ones I saw where 3/8. When I went to replace I realized that the old one was 5/16. Does the diameter of the fuel line matter?

Any ideas? Thanks Jason

Fuel pump checked? Filters checked? Possible air leak somewhere in fuel system. Fuel/water separator dumped,inspected,refilled and reinstalled.

How would I go about checking the fuel pump?

I pulled and looked at the initial small cartridge filter today and it looked fine to me. Is that a float in the bottom of the bowl? If so what is its purpose? When I poured some fuel in the bowl it didn't float but it slides freely when I turn it upside down.

Are there any other filters?

What should I be looking for in/on the water separator besides a bad gasket or water in the fuel? Should I fill it with fuel before reinstalling? I've always just filled it with the primer bulb.

Thanks

Back