Logo

82 115 Evinrude Power Loss At Higher RPM

P

pvtflyer

" If anyone can help I would s

" If anyone can help I would sincerely appreciate any ideas. My problem is when I run up and get to about 40 mph the engine power is lost and falls off to idle. I can sit there a minute and engage full throttle and shoot out of the hole with full rpm and get to about 40 mph and experience another power loss, having to bring the throttle to neutral / idle to keep engine from dying. Anything under 40 mph I can run all day it seems experiencing no abnormalities. I have cleaned out fuel tank, blew out the fuel lines, replaced primer bulb and fuel line "O" rings at connections on bulkhead and motor, checked fuel filter screen (clean), checked for good fuel connections, replaced gasket / diaphragm in electric primer, filtered fuel with secondary filter (it is clean), replaced plugs, replaced fuel filter screen, fuel flter cap and associated "o" rings, and rebuilt the fuel pump. The carbs were rebuilt 2 years ago and when stored the engine has always been run until all fuel in carbs is exhausted after removing fuel line so I am pretty sure they are okay. Thanks! "

"PvtFlyer.... From what you&#3

"PvtFlyer.... From what you've had to say, and what you've done, I have a tendency to lean towards carburetor problems. The brass fixed high speed jets are located at the extreme center bottom area of the float chamber, and it is impossible to run all of the fuel out of them. Fuel will hang onto the inner sidewalls of the carb and slowly drain down into that high speed jet area, eventually causing fouling etc.

I'm assuming you have good compression, ignition. and that the timer base is not sticking.

Note.... if you want the carbs empty when storing, remove the bottom side screws from the float chambers and drain the carbs in that manner. DO NOT run the engine dry (out of gas) if you have more than one carburetor. The top carb will run out of fuel first due to gravity if nothing else, and that will leave at least one aluminum piston running up and down a steel cylinder wall with improper lubrication. Not a good idea!

Joe
"

Back