Logo

GM 3.0 to stright marine drive

clarkieo

Have a small plywood inboard (Correct Craft, Atom Skier) powered by a Gray marine 70 hp flathead 4, would like to increase power without butchering the hull. Was thinking a 3.0 Gm based 4 cylinder of 120-140 hp would give me a nice power increase. I know theses engines are used in many IO applications but was wondering if they can be adopted to straight inboard drive using a velvet drive or whatever.

Any thoughts or opinions, using other choices,would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

should work...assuming you have enough space....

Just make sure the shaft and strut are adequately sized and are in good condition....figure a new prop (or repitch, if you are lucky) as well....I'd also change the bearing and stuffing box hoses, as applicable, while its apart.

pretty sure they all have the same bolt pattern - block to bell housing....

you'll need a solid flywheel and a damper plate to bolt to it, with the splines to match the velvet drive's input shaft.

pretty sure they all have the same bolt pattern - block to bell housing....

you'll need a solid flywheel and a damper plate to bolt to it, with the splines to match the velvet drive's input shaft.

Ayuh,.... Block to flywheel cover bolt pattern is the same, I-4 to I-6 to SBC to BBC,....

Crankshaft bolt patterns, 'n flywheel balance does change is some instances,...

Back