Logo

Special?

dalel

I just purchased a Johnson 50hp ES model. They say the ES stands for Electric Start Special. What exactly do they mean by Special? I think it is supposed to have a 4 amp charging circuit instead of a 12 amp. Any help would be appreciated.

Don't worry about the last letter in the model number. A "special" motor was generally a lower cost model, it didn't have all the features of a regular motor.

"S" does not mean special. That is somebody's imagination. EU indicates the year (1997). The trailing "S" indicates any mid-year changes--IF there were any changes. If there were no changes, it is meaningless. The parts book will reference the suffix letter, telling you which part to buy if you happen to need the part affected by the mid-year change (if any).

Last edited:
The suffix S stands for a model mid year change, I just wondered what the change may be and why it does not show up any where. The J50ES stance for electric start-special according to this sites look up chart. I guess since it is a cheaper version of the normal motor...it should be called not so special. :). The cowling has SPL on the trailing edge. Thanks for all the responses.

Back