Logo

Honda 225 2400 hrs

Hi again;
The members of this forum have been very helpful in the past and I hope they will be this time as well.

Like the title says, my friend has a 225 Honda with 2400 hrs. His last topic lead him to replace the whole vst package to fix his problem. Now he has a new problem.

He's a deer hunter as well, so the boat sits more frequently since September;) It's not uncommon for the boat to sit 2 weeks between use, but now, when he starts the engine, it idles for 20-30 seconds and emits a loud horn-like sound from the engine for about 3-5 seconds.

This is not an alarm from the dash. We know what that sounds like from needing the O2 sensor replaced several years ago. He explains it as half as loud as an air horn; in fact, he thought someone had sounded an air horn the first time he heard it.

Like many, he hoped this wouldn't happen again, however, it has become a routine event upon startup. The last time, he actually took the cowling off before starting so he could confirm the sound was coming from the motor.

He has fished the boat after the 'horn", and the motor runs fine.

Anyone have any ideas?
5th

Sounds bazaar!

Never heard of this one.

Does it happen each time it starts or just the first time of the day?

If it happens with each start, try to track down the location on the engine making the sound.

Get yourself a short piece of garden hose or similar hose and have someone put one end up to his/her ear and move the other end of the hose around different areas of the engine....listening for the loudest sounding "horn". Then the source may be obvious.

If it is not obvious, let us know of an approximate location and I am sure you will get a lot of guesses.

Can you post of video of it? That might help us.

Mike

Also check the top of the lower unit to see if the sound is coming from there. The first thing that came to mind was a dry or frozen mid-shaft bushing. Once water hits it, the sound may go away.

The other possibilities are (1.) the tensioning roller on the main cam belt or (2) the alternator bearing.

I'm relaying this second hand; but I believe it just happens on initial startup (after a two week layup). The rest of the day, it runs fine. Sounds likely that it's a lubrication concern of some sort.

A phone video is a great idea.

Thanks
5th

Ok; I think that worked.
So, now what do you think?
Could it be a belt?
Motor is shown "pissing" and it runs fine the rest of the day.
5th

Last edited:
5thTuition, not a clue,never heard anything like that. Pull cowling off and take a look at belt and pulleys

Last edited:
I agree with Johnnygjr....it sounds like it could be one of the pulleys sticking.

When you take #10 (muffler case) off, you remove 4 bolts, a hose (think only one) and have to pull it out of the rubber grommet (#12). There is also a intake air sensor that you should disconnect, remove from the case, and reconnect (so it does not sound an alarm when you run the motor.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2006/BF225A6 XA/THROTTLE BODY/parts.html

You have to completely remove the 4 bolts from the muffler case to get it off.
Also...do not disconnect the throttle cables...you can work the case around them.

One special tool might help....if you can keep the sound going for a while......a length of garden hose or tubing about that size. Put one end up to your ear and move it around the suspected area...listening for where it sounds the loudest.

You might get lucky and see remnants of belt or rusty pulleys that may remove all doubt.

Mike

Back