Logo

please need tips please need tips

TheBrain

Regular Contributor
please need tips on 2004 Johnson carbed 2 stroke prop shaft oil seal swape

here's where I find a decent write up
http://robaloboatowners.net/forums/i...showtopic=2072

recently checked my LU gear oil after the third shakedown run did’nt relize the slitely bent prop could ruin the seals now I have milkie greyish LU gear oil.

Been reading on seal swape want to attemp drilling and picking out old seals w/out pulling bearing carrier.

I have my seals however I don’t have the BRP gasket maker that I’ve read needs to be on the outside of the seals,

?1.is there an alternative or is this gasket maker even required on the prop. Shaft oil seal swape?

there is a round piece covering the seal

?2.I post a image of the seals there is round piece ( not pictured) how is this round piece removed to expose the seals for picking out?

Thanks STB

Attachments

• propseals exposed.jpg
    propseals exposed.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 21
How old are the drain/fill gaskets. Drain the gearbox and do a pressure test? I believe the round metal part is actually part of the seal. What is the model number of your motor?

2004 Johnson 175 hp J175PLSRBOutboard Motor

decided to remove the bearing carrier.

I wanted to use a actualle seal pry puller tool.

during the time it took me to look around for a tool my Bubby had the carrierin a vice and beat it out w/ a bent punch tool he scored up the inside of thecarrier hoppefulley I can sand down these scarcths.

or is my carrier ruined?

History of engine is unknown to meexcept it sat unstarted for 10 months that was before I purchased in march ofthis year.

the prop. seals looked intact to me didn't think of the oil fill/drain O rings being ruined they appeared good when draining.

mite be a good idea to replace front carrier O ring and drain/fill O ring?
Thanks

I was able to pry off the round piece covering the seals.

Back