Logo

No spark

Jdhorton

I have a Honda b75 7.5 horsepower and the thing refuses to spark I put new plugs in it a new coil pack, a new condenser and a new killswitch but the thing hasn't got the least bit of a hint that it's trying to spark. Please help! It is starting to make me slightly angry and I can't go fishingšŸ˜‘

I'm having a similar issue with my 130. Hondadude recommended checking the wire to the kill switch to see if it is grounded somewhere between the switch and motor.

I'm having a similar issue with my 130. Hondadude recommended checking the wire to the kill switch to see if it is grounded somewhere between the switch and motor.
The originl ground on mine was bad I moved the wire just barely and it broke off but I have tried moving it to several spots since and still won't fire.

Do you know if yours has the old reed and magnet neutral "safety" switch? If you're not sure, take off the cover and look At the shift lever shaft. The switch assembly looks sort of like an exaggerated "Y" mounted on the shaft about 3" inside the case from the handle.

Sometimes those switches go bad or simply get out of adjustment.

If you have one, try taking the wires off the switch and jumper the two ends together to see if spark returns.

Do you know if yours has the old reed and magnet neutral "safety" switch? If you're not sure, take off the cover and look At the shift lever shaft. The switch assembly looks sort of like an exaggerated "Y" mounted on the shaft about 3" inside the case from the handle.

Sometimes those switches go bad or simply get out of adjustment.

If you have one, try taking the wires off the switch and jumper the two ends together to see if spark returns.

Im not sure if it is or not I'll look when I get home a little later and let you know. Where's the best place to ground that killswitch at somewhere on the block?

If you don't have any spark, you don't even want the kill switch grounded at this point. The kill switch kills spark at the coil by grounding the feed coming in from the exciter coil under the flywheel.

Having said that, one wire from the kill switch is connected to the positive terminal on the primary ignition coil. The other wire grounds to the case under a bolt near where the shift handle is located. Clean and shiny on all connections.

The above is for an older model with ignition points. You said you replaced the condenser so I assume that yours has points.

Last edited:
Back