Logo

89 Johnson Quick Start Inquiry

jason17

Normal timing on my Johnson 200 at idle per the manual says it should fire at 6 degrees ATDC after quickstart is disengaged. Quickstart is supposed to advance timing to roughly TDC (or 1 inch on the flywheel per the manual). When performing the functional check of quickstart and I'm holding the timing light at the flywheel, I can visually see cylinder #1 firing at both locations on the flywheel as if it is "mixing" the firing for idle. It is doing this on all cylinders, on the muffs and in the lake (I indexed all cylinders TDC on the flywheel). The Powerpack is a new Sierra, so I called them up for a professional opinion. The guy on the phone says that it is a mixed firing. Has anyone else noticed this?

Idle timing should be between 2-8 degrees depending on engine condition and Q-start advances about 10 degrees. It will jump around during this...does it quit when it reaches temp(110) or you rev it above 2000rpm?

Quickstart does shut off when it warms up and after 5 seconds of starting a warm engine, never tried to force it to shut off at the 2k rpm mark tho, never needed to. I will say that while Quick Start is engaged and I point the timing light at the flywheel, the numbers are not super clear because of the mixed ignition points. But as soon as it disengages, its like 1080. I applied a white paint to the raised lettering on the flywheel for the degree marks and TDC, making it easier to read on a bright sunny day at the lake for the idle adjustment and full throttle timing adjustments.

Timing jumps all over the place...(not steady at all) when QS is active. Instantly, when QS dis-engages, the timing will be rock steady.

Thanks everyone, the manual just says timing should move roughly an inch, nothing about consistently or mixed or what have you. Much Appreciation!

Back