Logo

New to the Forum! Will a 3.0 fit in place of 4.3 V6?

Boatingfordays

Hello All new to the forum! I have a 1999 Bayliner capri 1750 has the 3.0 in it runs great! I was recently involved in a boating accident that left my poor old bayliner beached. I just found a 1999 Bayliner on craigslist that is in great shape that needs a motor, the boat forsale has a V6 I have a good 3.0. SO my question is will the 3.0 fit in place of the V6?

Most likely yes. Here are the issues with swap- 3.0 mounts in the front of block not on sides like the v6. If the boat was offered with a 3.0 most likely this mount is already glassed in the boat, if not you have to make one. Second issue is drive ratio-3.0 has a 1.98:1 vs the V6 with a 1.82 :1 so you may be able to go down in prop pitch to compensate but could also not work.

What's wrong with engine in new boat? Cracked block?

Would suggest getting a rebuilt or new v6 longblock and sell your 3.0, you'll have more power and won't deal with any conversion issues. If you can demonstrate a running engine either in the old boat or on a pallet I think you should be able to get $1000 for it, plus other parts like drive and gimbal housing.

New vortec base v6 is $2800 or so, remans are less.

Most likely yes. Here are the issues with swap- 3.0 mounts in the front of block not on sides like the v6. If the boat was offered with a 3.0 most likely this mount is already glassed in the boat, if not you have to make one. Second issue is drive ratio-3.0 has a 1.98:1 vs the V6 with a 1.82 :1 so you may be able to go down in prop pitch to compensate but could also not work.

What's wrong with engine in new boat? Cracked block?

Would suggest getting a rebuilt or new v6 longblock and sell your 3.0, you'll have more power and won't deal with any conversion issues. If you can demonstrate a running engine either in the old boat or on a pallet I think you should be able to get $1000 for it, plus other parts like drive and gimbal housing.

New vortec base v6 is $2800 or so, remans are less.

Im not sure at the moment what the problem is with the other boat the guy says the boat wasnt winterized properly. I have a good amount of money into my other boat but maybe parting out my current boat and getting a long block for the other maybe the best way out.

Wasn't winterized properly = cracked block. Most likely block is cracked in lifter valley just below the heads, exhaust manifold probably as well.

If the new boat was a 3.0 it would be a no brainer. For all the work I think you'll like the extra power. My old boat was a 17 ft with a 3.0, very reliable and economical for 25 years. Last fall I got a 21 ft that previous owner didn't winterize the 4.3.

Spent last winter repowering it with a 5.0 and am so glad I took the extra effort to power up considering all the work into it.

Look on eBay right now there's several used ones- a 4 bbl 205 hp $2800 Obo for complete drop in engine

I did look on ebay and found a few kicking around. I just really don't wanna put that kind of money into this hobby any more. The only reason why I was asking if my 3.0 will bolt in there is because I already have it paid for in the yard. I am hoping to get this other boat for $500. I do see what you are saying if it was another 3.0 it would be a no brainer, maybe I should just keep looking and find a boat with a 3.0 in it then. I just cant put that kind of money into this boat. Thank you for your responses.

I am hoping to get this other boat for $500. I do see what you are saying if it was another 3.0 it would be a no brainer, maybe I should just keep looking and find a boat with a 3.0 in it then. I just cant put that kind of money into this boat. Thank you for your responses.

If you have a lot of good parts in addition to the engine on the old boat you could probably sell it in pieces over the course of the winter and would probably make enough money to buy a reman 4.3L long block to install in the new boat. Most likely you can get into the new boat for very little extra money.

KJ

I see your point and certainly understand trying to take a hull of one and drive line out of the other. Is the drive ok in your original boat the was beached?

Both these boats should have alpha one gen 2 drives. If your original drive or at least the upper half is ok you can swap this to the new boat and get the right gear ratio for what you have plus $500 for the new boat ( your time is free). If your existing drive is roached you can always drop pitch from say a 19 to a 17 to side step the taller gear ratio in the 6 cylinder drive but then your spending money on props.

Seeing your constraints you certainly can make the 3.0 fit, may not be bolt in, assuming you are a relatively competent mechanic, there's lots of help and experince on this site.

Look at the new boat and compare the engine compartment to your existing, if there is a big crosmember under the harmonic balancer that matches where your existing 3.0 has the front mount that will make it easier

Well the new boat purchase fell thorough, so I'm on the hunt for another good hull. To make my life easier as you suggested [FONT=Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]Dieter I will be looking for a hull that has a 3.0. I thank everyone for there responses. I get many positive vibes from this forum seems like a great place full of great people! [/FONT]

Back