Logo

Loctite 518 vs

Raymd90

Hello I am getting ready to put my 1982 4hp Johnson power head back together n just wondering what people think is the best sealant for crankcase? I have some Lawson 84775 that a buddy gave me n said it's better then Loctite 518 but I've never used it before, I looked at its specs online n looks like it should work but just want to see what others think?

I just went to their website and they say Lawson 84775 is a high strength threadlocker for threaded fasteners that are unlikely to ever be taken apart. As a crankcase sealant, I'd say it is a total mis-application. Just my 2 cents.

518 put it together a couple times without the seals so you know how to do it quickly and the end play on the crank is within spec.. Put a thin bead on one side of the casing and on the outer edge of the seals quickly torque the halves together. A light coat of engine oil on the seals is real important for the initial spin up. Let the sealant cure at least 24hrs before you expose it to fuel. The longer the better.

Back