Logo

Rebuilding a Sherwood G7B raw water pump

Drfeno

I took off both my raw water pumps so I can change the impellers for next season. I have a silverton 31 c with twin chrysler 318s. the pump in question is a sherwood G7B. I removed the impeller, and upon inspecting the bearing/shaft housing, it seemed a little dirty around the seal, also there is an audible click when spinning the pulley. It still spins freely, but I don't like the click. I would like to replace the bearing(s) and seal. I'm curious if anyone has broken down this model pump before. I would assume that the pulley has to be removed to access the snap rings that hold the bearings in place (I could be wrong). There doesn't seem to be an obvious way to remove the pulley, other than having it pressed off. is this the way this needs to be done? I have rebuild Jabsco raw water pumps before, and the pulley on the ones I've done have a keyway, a set screw, and a thrust pin to hold the pulley on. I will say that the Sherwood pulley has a circumferential groove around the hub, that looks like its there for a puller. Just wondering if anyone has done it before.

Thanks

You may be able to rid yourself of the belt driven seawater pump blues by going with a Johnson crankshaft style seawater pump.
You will need adequate space in front of your crankshaft area.

This is an F5B-9 Johnson seawater pump.

a20791712d0658d2a39b11_m__68131.1417729461.1280.1280.jpg

These are more typically found on Ford and GM V engines. However, it can be done on Chrysler engines.
Here is a MarineEngine.com thread on this topic.
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-fo...Chrysler-crank-pump-drive-drawings-318-to-440

With the crankshaft pump:
No side load wear at bearings that is otherwise caused by drive belt tension.
Easy front cover access to impeller.
RH and LH engine rotation capable.
Standard and easy to find impeller p/n.

These will go for years without bearing issues.

This is a GM Engine with a Johnson F5B-9 pump installed.

$(KGrHqJ,!p4E-8c)Gb48BPv4qbw3P!~~60_12.JPG

These are industry tried and proven.......... you would not regret doing this.

Last edited:
................................ I will say that the Sherwood pulley has a circumferential groove around the hub, that looks like its there for a puller. Just wondering if anyone has done it before.

Thanks
IMO, without actually seeing it, it's likely pressed on and pulled off to rebuild I would think. Post a close up picture of your pulley face.

Thanks for the replies, before posting I searched the forum, and it came up with no matches to "G7B" or "sherwood", so I figured there was nothing to find. However, doing a google search finds a couple of threads on this very subject. As I thought, it looks like it needs to be pressed on and off. These pump manufacturers really make getting the pulley off a real PITA. I can think of a few other ways to mount a pulley so it would be secure, but also easily serviceable. maybe I'll take it to a machine shop and see if they have equipment to press it off without all the banging, and heating and mushrooming that I would incur. I could build a special tool to do it, maybe I will, I have until April or so.

Almost all belt driven accessories have pressed on pulleys. You should have no trouble finding a shop to press it off and on for you.

Back