Logo

Noob with 2004 bf 225, how to use search

thomascw

First post, bought a triton 240 lts with 2004 bf 225, 25 inch shaft. Getting ready to go on first trip out of Venice, la in 2 weeks. Supposedly 300 hours on motor, runs fine. Thinking of changing water pump and vertical shaft bushing at a minimum. When I try searching forums I get no results. ie "bf 225", or "vertical shaft bushing".
Any hints?

Thanks TW

First post, bought a triton 240 lts with 2004 bf 225, 25 inch shaft. Getting ready to go on first trip out of Venice, la in 2 weeks. Supposedly 300 hours on motor, runs fine. Thinking of changing water pump and vertical shaft bushing at a minimum. When I try searching forums I get no results. ie "bf 225", or "vertical shaft bushing".
Any hints?

Thanks TW

Figured it out, wasn't using the image verification

Very Good video on the procedure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44ZaDzNck1I

Part Numbers
• Bushing = 40210-ZY3-610 – (Vertical shaft bearing)
• C ring = 9052-ZY3-000
• Flat washer = 9053-ZY3-610
• You’ll also need a pair of snap ring pliers.
Removal
Put engine in forward gear.
Remove the lower unit as if you are going to change the impeller on the water pump. Don’t forget the bolt under the trim tab.
Look up inside where you pulled out the drive shaft. There you will see the bushing held in place by a C clip, riding on a metal flat washer. Remove the C clip. Pull out the bushing.

The outside of the bushing is rubber with a metal bushing inside. That metal bushing rides on a raised section of the drive shaft.
Clean out any corrosion and grease the bushing inside and outside liberally with marine grease. A two inch wide wire brush on a drill extension works well.

Installation
The cut-outs in the bushing go up toward the motor.

Very Good video on the procedure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44ZaDzNck1I

Part Numbers
• Bushing = 40210-ZY3-610 – (Vertical shaft bearing)
• C ring = 9052-ZY3-000
• Flat washer = 9053-ZY3-610
• You’ll also need a pair of snap ring pliers.
Removal
Put engine in forward gear.
Remove the lower unit as if you are going to change the impeller on the water pump. Don’t forget the bolt under the trim tab.
Look up inside where you pulled out the drive shaft. There you will see the bushing held in place by a C clip, riding on a metal flat washer. Remove the C clip. Pull out the bushing.

The outside of the bushing is rubber with a metal bushing inside. That metal bushing rides on a raised section of the drive shaft.
Clean out any corrosion and grease the bushing inside and outside liberally with marine grease. A two inch wide wire brush on a drill extension works well.

Installation
The cut-outs in the bushing go up toward the motor.
Thanks chawk, I was going to change the impeller at the same time. I pulled the boat up to shop and chickened out, how heavy is the lower unit? Do i need a second set of hands? Not scared of turning a wrench

I've never weighed the lower unit, but guessing it's about 40 to 50 lbs. A second pair of hands is helpful, but not totally necessary. Just be sure to have the bottom of the lower unit braced well before removing bolts. Tilt the engine all the way up and set the safety catch on the starboard side of the engine, then lower the engine so that the safety catch is carrying most of the weight. Have a rubber mallet available to break the lower unit loose if necessary. Once you have the top of the water pump off, take a picture so you remember which way the impeller vanes are supposed to go.

I've never weighed the lower unit, but guessing it's about 40 to 50 lbs. A se wascond pair of hands is helpful, but not totally necessary. Just be sure to have the bottom of the lower unit braced well before removing bolts. Tilt the engine all the way up and set the safety catch on the starboard side of the engine, then lower the engine so that the safety catch is carrying most of the weight. Have a rubber mallet available to break the lower unit loose if necessary. Once you have the top of the water pump off, take a picture so you remember which way the impeller vanes are supposed to go.

Thanks again, I've got the parts. Just the impeller, keyway, oring and gasket for water pump. Bushing, washer and c clip

Will do, lots of corrosion in cup where bushing fits, some wear on vertical shaft, probably going to just smooth it, instead of having it filled. There were a few drops of motor oil on the top of the vertical shaft

got the bushing installed, reused water tube seal and put in new impeller and green gasket and o ring(old impeller looked perfectly fine, soft , pliable, intact).the hardest part of waterpump was aligning key, i wound up putting impeller on, then cup then housing. When i reinstalled lower unit, i started tilted and went to vertical , then used a floor jack under front of lu with a stack of boards under the skeg( adding a board at a time). I aligned shift shaft with a thin screw driver, first attempt i met resistance trying to lift into final position, i dropped it again slightly and it went right in. I did run it on ear muffs and i've got water from tell tale. My only worry is that i never looked at water tube when lifting, I guess the only way to test is a sea trial?

Not exactly a sea trial, but i ran it on boat ramp for 5 minutes at 3000 rpm( in neutral). tell tale is shooting a very hard stream. feel pretty good about it. Thanks for the help

Back