Logo

Diagnosing potential throttle control issues

Ggalluppi

Broke down this morning and needed a tow. Engine wouldn't turn over, almost as if I was trying to start it and it wasn't in Neutral, but it WAS in neutral. I tried shifting back and forth several times and had no power to the controls. After about an hour of troubleshooting, chasing possible lose connections, checking fuses, etc... I gave up a called Tow Boat US. While under way, it turned over twice but the third time went back to the same as before, no power. Got it home and it started twice on the hose in my driveway, ran for about 10 minutes, turned on, off, on, off...nothing. It's been dead ever since. Originally thought it was the Starting Solenoid, replaced that with a new one and I still have no power. I'm able to jump the motor off by arcing the solenoid with plyers so I know the starter works. I have 12V to the solenoid/starter...12V to the Ignition and 12V to the Throttle control. It seems as if the neutral kill is busted or the throttle doesn't think it's in neutral. The part that confuses me the most is I have tilt/trim from the button on the engine, relays work on the engine side but no tilt/trim from the throttle...which makes me think there's something wrong with the control. Normally if the key won't turn because the control isn't in Neutral, I'll still have tilt/trim from the handle...any help is appreciated.

Always include what your working on??
The Early Forces had the neutral safety on the motor.
Later it was in the sifter??

There are circute breakers are the ok?

Back