Logo

Crusader 454 Runs till Start button is released

RobertG

I've got 1987 454 350hp Crusaders in my egg harbor .. my port motor will run till you release the start button ... anyone have any idea's what this might be caused by ... thanks

More then likely you have a poor connection at either the start switch or at the distributor. When you activate the starter you bring in a bypass circuit that sends 12v to the distributor. After releasing the starter you get only about 9v at the distributor which you're not getting now. Not having a wiring schematic I can't help you much better.

Ayuh,.... I'd guess a fault in the ignition switch,....

Start is workin', the Ignition circuit ain't,....

Assuming you have a ballast resistor, OR it's a poor connection on the resistor/ballast wire or in the ignition circuit someplace. Obviously the start circuit works correctly but the ignition circuit has the "open" in it someplace.

1987 Crusader. Almost guaranteed it still has points or at least a ballast. Especially if it has been upgraded to a crappy Hall effect aftermarket kit and the ballast was left behind.

Put a voltmeter on the plus side of the coil, turn on the ignition switch (engine not running) just to see if you have voltage to the coil. If not the problem is a bad ignition switch, loose wire connection, or blown ballast resistor. If no voltage start checking for voltage at the ignition switch and continue to check toward the coil. If there is voltage, leave the voltmeter connected to the coil and monitor voltage during the start cycle. Should be an easy fix. Good Luck.

Back