Logo

BF130 Fuel pump failure and particles in downstream filter

WAH

I have a 2002 BF 130 that has been trouble free until this weekend. It just quit while cruising at 3200 rpm, finally got it to a dock to tie up and determined that it was a fuel problem. Got it home and found that the primary pump on top of the valve cover is pumping fine, but the main high pressure pump is dead. Even gave it 12 volts after I removed it and nothing happens. Have new pump on the way, but here is the problem I have now found.
There is a filter or strainer it is called inline with the high pressure pump, between the pump and the fuel rail. When I removed it, the gas that I poured out the top side of the filter was black with small particles. I looked at these particles under a microscope and found that many of them are microns in size. They are non metallic, but there are a few partilcles that look to be aluminum. This tells me that the fuel rail and injectors are full of this stuff as there is nothing else in between to take them out.

I am going to order a new strainer, as I do not think one can get all this stuff out of the old one, but what to do with the fuel rail and injectors. Can they be cleaned, and not replaced? I hate to think what replacing them will cost, as the pump was almost $400.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

You said you ordered the pump. Hopefully you can cancel that because...I have a deal for you.

If you order part number 06167-ZW5-305 for $382.80 US retail, you will be able to replace your high pressure fuel system.

The kit includes a new vapor separator with new pump inside, new high pressure filter (inside the vapor separator), water separator, new fuel rail and miscellaneous hoses. It has the new o rings etc for the injectors.

It is pretty straight forward to install.

Then you are starting out fresh.

Honda has plenty in stock.

Mike

Yes, the injectors can be cleaned.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. I will see if I can cancel the pump order and get the kit. The kit is for sure the way to go.
How does one clean the injectors?
I would think that an ultrasonic cleaner would work.

To answer your question on the injectors. Here is a commercial method of cleaning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tS8kPqnIY4

There are many different DIY schemes on Youtube. You should not dip the entire injector into an ultrasonic cleaner, if you have one. Note the jig that they had for cleaning.

The one thing that I did not see is backflushing the injector to remove any captured debris.

This simple method seems to address that....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNalNyXjQ7s

These are just two. If you Google "DIY fuel injector cleaner" and select "Video", you will get all kinds of ideas.

Mike

Hondadude, thanks for the good information. I have the new kit in hand and will get to putting it on the engine soon, my question is what is the operating pressure of the injectors, and I assume they open with 12 volts applied. I want to set up a flow test rig to insure that they are clean before I put them back in the engine. I have a machine shop so building a flow rig is not a problem. I also think one could back flow them with a reasonable flow and pressure to be sure they are clean. I am going to check the partilcles I found in the filter and see if they are soluble in something like acetone. However, I do not know if acetone would harm other internal components of the injectors.

Your thoughts are welcome, and I did look at many of the you tube ways to clean them, thanks for the help.

The fuel pressure is normally around 40 psi. A pulsing 12v on the injectors is find.

Sounds like you are set up nicely to do these things.

Mike

Back