Logo

2012 Volvo Penta 5.0 Gxi Cold Engine - Crank no start , video link

efito

Not sure if boating gave me pleasure or pain this summer.

I've got a Rinker 230 with 2012 VP 5.0 Gxi.

First time when it didn't start it was really frustrating. I called a mechanic, he fixed it and said he doesn't know how he did it. Anyways, it started fine, ran fine a couple of days, when I don't use it for some time (4+ days) it doesn't start again.

Second time, I called another guy, he changed the plugs, batteries and did a couple of things, it started. I used it every other day, no problems, first try crank and start. When it's not used for a week or so it's gone again.

Now before I call the mechanic I wanted to ask you guys about what might be the problem here.

The thing is when it starts (if it starts), it's really good. No choking or anything, starts on the first try like in 2 seconds without any problem. I turn off the engine frequently when I'm fishing but never experienced this no start issue on the water. So I can clearly say that the problem is only happening when engine is cold - not hot.

I can't seem to find a problem that will happen only on cold engine status. A mechanic told me that it might be a compression issue, saying it will cost a lot to fix it but I think there's a much easier solution for it.

I'd love to hear what you guys think. Here's the video of the cold engine crank:

https://youtu.be/lKbh-bmfZHs

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Sound like no ignition, I would check for spark from coil, if its ok I would checks spark from ignition wires.I had the same problem no start on damp or rainy days, change coil solved my problem

Back